Pink Shower, Pink Cassia, Pink Lady
Cassia javanica

Family: Caesalpiniaceae (ses-al-pin-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cassia (KASS-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: javanica (juh-VAHN-ih-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Cassia agnes
Synonym:Cassia nodosa
Synonym:Cathartocarpus nodus
Synonym:Cassia bacillus
Synonym:Cassia megalantha

Pale Pink

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Scarify seed before sowing

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Aptos, California

Honomu, Hawaii

Harlingen, Texas

negative

On Aug 29, 2011, gobbins from Jupiter, FL wrote:

I planted this tree 15 months ago at 7 feet tall. It is now 15 ft and shows no sign of blossoming. Foliage is very healthy and is very popular with Cloudless Sulphur Butterflies and, sadly, Little leaf notcher Weevils

On Jul 13, 2009, lauraroxie from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

I had success starting this tree from seeds I bought online and have had success with other cassia varieties including the marginata. I'm really bad at starting seeds, so for those with skill, these trees must be pretty forgiving. I did the nicking of seeds with sandpaper and then soaking in water. I have two, two foot trees now. I've not seen any of these trees growing in my Zone 9B St. Petersburg, but several close members of the family rated zone 10 thrive here.

On May 17, 2009, nalin1 from New Delhi
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

Strikingly beautiful when in bloom; flowering starts in May and not very common in New Delhi.

I had originally planted three shrubs as 'cassia nodosa' at my country home and had to replace two as they died. The originals had pointed leaf tips, and the replacements I got have rounded leaves and developed small unimpressive flowers. This is some other variety of cassia. The number of leaflet pairs on both types of trees is up to 25.

C. javanica is said to have thorns on the trunk but the ones I have are thorn-free.

On Jul 10, 2004, desertboot from Bangalore
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

I planted one on Christmas Day 1977. The tree is now over 40' tall. The flowers are a lovely soft-pink fading to white and are clustered at the ends of leafy branches. Great success with propagating more from seed.

On Jul 9, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

There are quite a few of them planted all around our County Building in Hilo. A beautiful sight when they are all in bloom.

On Jul 8, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

The pink & white shower tree is popular in Hawaii, used for shade and street planting, it is beautiful when it flowers in June. Originally from Indonesia, it has been in Hawaii since at least 1870.