Bigleaf Hydrangea, Lacecap
Hydrangea macrophylla 'Variegata'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: macrophylla (mak-roh-FIL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata
» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

Light Blue

Variegated

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From hardwood cuttings

Grand Bay, Alabama

Headland, Alabama

Mobile, Alabama (2 reports)

Burlingame, California

Leesburg, Virginia

Bellingham, Washington

negative

On Jun 7, 2015, SpringwoodGrdns from Penn Hills, PA wrote:

Placed next to a foundation sheltered from the northwest and the plant still freezes back to the ground. Plant will then not bloom. New stems are thin and weak. After three growing seasons, the foliage is beginning to revert back to all-green. A useless plant for my applications.

On May 6, 2013, rosepetal2 from Danvers, MA wrote:

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Mariesii Variegata' is extremely hardy and performs best in my Zone 6b with morning sun afternoon shade and does not like being dried out. Next seasons buds are set following the first bloom flush. Unfortunately extreme winter cold will freeze off the buds resulting in no flowers the following season. My experience has been stunted blooms after a cold winter and cold, damp springs with intermittent freezing. The shrub does not consistently bloom when exposed to frigid winter winds. I have mine planted in protected areas. I fertilize Osmocote 14-14-14 twice per year and enjoy blooms most years. I even get a second flush late summer.

On Jun 22, 2012, heartstheclown from Highland, IN wrote:

Have had this plant for over 10 years with beautiful varigated leaves each year - but NO blooms. Finally this year after a very mild winter it has erupted with over 50 beautiful violet colored centered blooms and white flowers around the perimeter of the flower and is the talk of the neighborhood. It is on the east side of my home and gets full sunlight, but is partially shaded by my maple tree. I live in Indiana 5 miles from Lake Michigan near Chicago. Glad I did not give up on this one !

On Apr 12, 2012, Kelliq81 from Jonesboro, AR (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought two variegated hydrangeas at Home Depot 3 years ago. They are very healthy. Have maybe doubled in size - they are right at 2.5' tall and wide. They get morning and early afternoon sun. Not once have they bloomed which is disappointing. They are in prime real estate area - if they don't bloom this year I'm going to move them somewhere else. I'm in zone 7B.

On May 15, 2011, Kerni from Deerfield, WI wrote:

My hydrangeas also came from Walmart 2008 and each year they too die back to the ground. WHY? They are both on the northeast side of the house. One gets morning sun only and the other gets dappled, afternoon sun. Have yet to see a flower. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

On Jul 4, 2010, tsunga from Normal, IL wrote:

bought this plant at Walmart - on the mega sale rack in summer of 2008. It has died back completely each winter and so far has not bloomed. However the foliage is lovely and the plant does seem happy. I will try to over-winter the plant this year to see if I can get it to bloom next year. So far I am neural on this plant as I have not gotten it to bloom in zone 5a.

On Jun 6, 2010, SingingTurtle from Saugerties, NY wrote:

I have grown this variety of hydrangea for two years. I have two plants, both of which were given to me by a neighbor who could not get them to bloom in her heavily-shaded garden. I have them in two different exposures, both south/southwest, but one is closer to the house and has more protection and better drainage. Last year the foliage was quite handsome on both plants, but no bloom. This year the plant near the house has several buds, which are about to open. The other plant is smaller, has no buds, and seems to be losing some of its variegation. I rate my experience thusfar as neutral because I have yet to see the flowers and because I can not tell whether blooming will be reliable. Stay tuned for a progress report!

On Aug 6, 2006, stressbaby from Fulton, MO wrote:

Although I can keep this plant alive in 5b/6a, getting blooms is difficult. It requires careful winter protection and a little luck. The foliage effect makes it a worthwhile plant, however.

On Apr 8, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Lacecap Hydrangea 'Variegata' brightens up any shady area. The new growth is very brightly colored. Be sure to not prune this plant at the end of winter even though it may look like it needs it because it produces blooms on the old growth. My plants have no leaves on them during the winter and look like they have frozen back, but usually they haven't. It may be successfully pruned, if needed, after it has bloomed. It is a wonderful plant that requires little care.

On Jun 15, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful plant. A real stand-out in the garden ~ brightens up shady spots nicely. It appears to be just like regular hydrangeas in all respects save appearance.

Also, it roots easily from cuttings. I stuck half a dozen three weeks ago and they've already formed roots.