PlantFiles: Hot Pepper, Jalapeno Pepper
Capsicum annuum 'TAM Mild Jalapeno I'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: annuum (AN-yoo-um) (Info)
Cultivar: TAM Mild Jalapeno I
Additional cultivar information: (aka TAM Mild Jalapeno 1, TAM Jalapeno 1, TAM Mild 1 Chile)
Hybridized by Villalon; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1981

» View all varieties of Peppers

Heat (Pungency):
Mild (1 to 1,000 Scoville Units)
Moderate (1,000 to 5,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Tapered

Fruit Size:
Small (under 2" in length)
Medium (4" to 6" in length)

Fruit Color:

Fresh (salsa, salads)
Stuffing
Drying
Pickling

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Early (55-68 days)

Thumbnail #4 of Capsicum annuum by htop

By Suze_
Thumbnail #5 of Capsicum annuum by Suze_

Positive cherylandtoto On May 13, 2009, cherylandtoto from Akron, OH wrote:

Heavy producer! Great pepper flavor with almost no heat (none if you remove the veins and seeds.) These are WONDERFUL when grilled with other vegetables.
Grew them in containers. So loaded with peppers, we had to stake the plants. Heavy feeders, so be generous with the time-release (Osmokote) fertilizer. Definitely recommend!
Cheryl from Ohio

Positive Suze_ On Jun 16, 2008, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Great flavor, very mild heat. Easy to grow.

Positive VEGGIEHAPPY On Aug 25, 2006, VEGGIEHAPPY from New Braunfels, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had the best luck with Tam Jalapeno. It blossoms and sets fruit in the hottest weather, and there are always a never ending supply of peppers from june through frost. I grow the small variety, and I'm going to save my seed this year.

Most of my peppers are mild, but every now and then I get one or two hotter than a serrano.....weird.

Positive Farmerdill On Dec 6, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An early , almost heatless cultivar developed by Texas A & M. Grows well here and is great for uses where regular Jalapeno's are too hot.

Positive mspenta On Sep 2, 2004, mspenta from Deer Park, TX wrote:

I do find it milder, but with all the flavor of the other varieties. This is my new favorite.

Positive WillowWasp On Jun 13, 2004, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is said to be be a milder form of the Jalapeno Pepper. I use it as I do the other and unless the seeds are removed I really dont taste any difference in flavor or heat. So I use it spairngly. Some people that are use to the hottness of the regular Jalapeno say it is milder...

This one is hard to get in our area come planting time so I am trying to get seed of it and start my own. I didn't keep any seed from the others and I am not sure it would grow true. I thought more folks would be buying it but I guess they want the one's that are like fire.....LOL 7/5/09

Lewes, Delaware