Japanese Spirea, Japanese Meadowsweet, Maybush
Spiraea japonica 'Shirobana'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Spiraea (spy-REE-ah) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Shirobana

Summerville, South Carolina

Concrete, Washington

Morgantown, West Virginia

On Jul 5, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

I have this shrub in a mixed flower bed----for variety and interest. My favorite things about this plant are: It adds a delicate form to the garden's bolder plants like roses, lilies, phlox, etc. It's a "cloud" of continuous blooming fluff with both pink and white blooms. My shrub has by far and way more white blooms than pink, but I've seen the opposite. It doesn't reseed like my other spireas. I cut it down to 1 foot in the fall and it seems to thrive on the abuse by growing and blooming even bigger and better the next year! Even after a sharp shaving of all the brown flowers, I thought it was done for the year but to my surprise it quickly popped out enough blooms to make a show. Never needs staking. The cons are few: Not enough combination of pink and white blooms; dead-head... read more

On Jun 30, 2011, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

My grandmother was growing this at her home 50 years ago. It bloomed even on the north side of her house, but will do better with more sun. Our church gardens include one as well. All these Japanese Spireas make a much better show if cut back hard every year or so.

On Sep 10, 2009, Julie55 from Lonaconing, MD wrote:

I read above where this plant is considered sterile or doen't come true to seed. I guess I am confused, as I have grown this several times from seed. The seeds come from my parents plant, that I raid at least once a summer. Does anyone have anymore info on this?

On Aug 12, 2008, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Easy to grow even in poor soil. Spent blooms turn brown and ragged-looking but if pruned off will bloom again later in summer.

On Apr 12, 2005, jnn from Chapel Hill, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Low maintenance plant. The bees and butterflies love it. The blooms look like a little like Queen Anne's Lace, but the bush we have has pink blooms on it.

On Jun 14, 2004, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Dwarf, mounded, deciduous, pest-free shrub makes an excellent low hedge, edging or border. Foliage is bright green. White, pink and red bloom clusters cover the stems late spring to fall. Tolerates high summer and low winter temperatures.