Southern Indian Hybrid Azalea, Indica Azalea 'Pride of Mobile'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Pride of Mobile

Alice, Texas

Broaddus, Texas

Mc Kinney, Texas

On May 23, 2011, jahfromid from Milton, FL wrote:

The "Pride of Mobile" azalea is something else. They were planted as a hedge facing west in the sun all day long about 1994 at a home I know of. They have never been taken care of like watering other than when it rained, fertilizing, pruning or any other care. They were just always there. They are now 8 feet wide and about 6 feet tall. But when they bloom, WHAT A SHOW, they are sooooooooooo beautiful for 2 - 3 weeks. They have to be the strongest plant ever. With so little care and they just keep putting on a show year after year. It's a shame the blooms don't last longer as I really enjoy seeing them.

On May 4, 2007, SooBee360 from Hudson, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Planted small groups about 17 years ago beneath deciduous Florida oaks and pine trees. They have bloomed every single year - pale pink in one group; strong violet red in another Formosa type group. Natural acidic mulch from leaves keeps them happy. I don't dig around them as their root systems are close to surface feeders. I water them during drought. Pruning is minimal only when extending out too far into mower path. Occasional light overhead fertilizer once a year and water in thoroughly. Very little maintainance. Rarely a problem every few years with black grasshopper babies which I promptly knock them off and stomp them to pieces.

On Jul 2, 2006, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Zone 8b, Heat Zone 9, deed East, Tx on Lake Sam Rayburn
My Aunt has 3 of these rare azaleas. They are trouble free. Her azaleas are 75 years old. She gave me rooted cuttings: I hope my pic is uploaded ok.
Family: Ericaceae
Hardiness: Zone 8a to 10b
Sun Exposure: Full Sun, her's in part shade on west side
Bloom Color: brilliant Magenta
Bloom Time: Late Winter/Early Spring
My young cuttings bloomed in Early Spring and stayed in flower for 3/4 weeks.
I cherish this Azalea!

On Feb 14, 2006, restringel from Alice, TX wrote:

I have heard of this cultivar being hard to find. I live in South Texas and I was browsing a Nursery in Kingsville and came across a "Pride of Mobile" azalea. I heard it would do well in sun. The soil in Alice, Texas (where I live) is not prepared for azaleas, but with proper care, they grow beautifully. That day, I walked away with 4 six-inch pots of azaleas... Pride of mobile was one of them. I planted them in filtered sunlight and so far they are great! Thanks for reading.

On Jan 24, 2006, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a very old cultivar that has almost been lost, but it certainly is one of my favorites. The masses of flowers seem to look you straight in the eye and smile.

I highly recommend it IF IT CAN BE FOUND.

On Jan 23, 2006, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

While most azaleas prefer partial shade, this one doesn't seem to mind being in full sun. It also seems to be more drought tolerant than most. It is very wide spreading and makes a great screen.