PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Thai Pink Egg'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Thai Pink Egg

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by ocimum_nate

By MikeyJoe
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by MikeyJoe

Negative rickirl On Nov 21, 2014, rickirl from Fellsmere, FL wrote:

Like some other posts I found the taste bland.
The plant was robust, and semi determinate
from the seed company I ordered it from.
NO egg shape about it, more like pasta-roma,
tomato. Color was light pink, thick walled,
but to bland for out table, even claims of a
good roasting one is unfounded.

Positive rainbow_gardens On Jul 18, 2012, rainbow_gardens from Fletcher, NC wrote:

I originally grew this tomato in Florida, the gulf coast. I wanted a tomato which would grow well in a warm and humid climate. It performed exceptionally for me. To my surprise, it was just beautiful too! The skin is like a light pink pearl. The taste is crisp and cool, like a "tomato cucumber". it is not sweet, but definitely not tart as previously stated. I moved and am now growing it in Western North Carolina. It is growing well here too in zone 6b. I will continue to grow this tomato.
It loves A LOT of water and heat, much more than most tomatoes. Keep it watered and it will be happy. I have my garden on You Tube where I have recorded it, "Donna's Gardens".

Positive MikeyJoe On Sep 12, 2006, MikeyJoe from Clarksville, IN wrote:

After reading everyone else's comments it almost makes me wonder if we are all growing the same Tomato.

Mine started out as white as a pearl and then turned to that unique pink. The plant was compact and produced fruit over a longer period than most determinate varieties. The flavor was not among my favorites but was certainly adequate for a light colored cherry variety.

I plan to grow them in pots on my patio next year as an edible ornamental.

Negative Gabrielle On Jan 26, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I don't care much for cherry tomatoes in the first place, but these were worse than most. Too sour. Thankfully the seeds were free . . . or maybe that's why they were free!

Negative hurono On Oct 12, 2005, hurono from Troy, OH wrote:

Agree with last comment. About the poorest tasting tomato. If you like it because of shape, well, I guess but really a poor paste tomato. Biggest dud of the large group we grew this year.

Negative fwfarm On Sep 27, 2005, fwfarm from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

Worst tasting tomato I have ever grown - consistently acid and flavorless, even a little bitter. Small plant with a lot of tomatoes on it.

Positive Jenisis On May 23, 2005, Jenisis from Jamaica Plain, MA wrote:

I found this amazing tomato plant at a farmer's market in Burlington, VT last summer. It grew very well in my garden in Boston, and was more disease resistant than the other tomatoes I grew. The fruit was sweet and juicy, and my (then) 1 year old son often had seeds and tomato juice drippng down his front from eating these like apples. About the size of small roma tomatoes, a light red in color, and very yummy! If anyone has info about where I can find seeds to grow these again, I would be very grateful.

Positive melody On Nov 26, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very productive and the plants hold up well here in hot, humid West KY. It's amazing that one plant could produce the amount of fruits that this variety does.

Flavor is just so-so in my opinion, but my niece adores it, as do my Mom and Sis.

Very consistant size and pretty much blemish free. Not as prone to cracking as some varieties also.

Positive domhnull On Aug 23, 2004, domhnull from Lacey, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

It grows well in a container on our porch. Very productive. Tastes good.

Negative buddym On Aug 12, 2004, buddym from Creal Springs, IL wrote:

BER was evident through over 1/2 the growing season. Flavor was too tart for me. Fruit was pretty, though.

Positive Farmerdill On Jun 15, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A compact determinate plant which set a profusion of grape shaped rose pink fruits. Fruits are 1 oz +, large for a grape tomato. The plants are very hardy and disease resistant. I have lost plants to disease this year, but these plants are unfazed.

Augusta, Georgia