Lobster Claw, Parrot's Beak
Heliconia schiedeana

Family: Heliconiaceae
Genus: Heliconia (hel-ih-KOH-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: schiedeana (skee-dee-AH-nuh) (Info)
Synonym:Heliconia scheidianna

Hialeah, Florida

Loxahatchee, Florida

Yulee, Florida

Kure Beach, North Carolina

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

On Nov 29, 2012, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

I grow this Heliconia for 2 1/2 years. It's a very beautiful plant, but hasn't flowered for me yet. The foliage is fantastic. The problems that i have with this plant is that i think it is very slow growing in relation to other species (like H. rostrata for example). The shoots are still quite short and the plant has gained width only. Also a problem is that it may survive the winter but the foliage looks pitiful then. I think the huge size of the plant may also be a problem.

On Jun 29, 2010, Tropizana from Reseda, CA wrote:

This is to Palm Bob. I also live in Tarzana and was wondering where you were able to buy a Heliconia plant. I bought one at a nursery that went out of business and have not been able to locate any more since then. I love this plant & want more of them.

On Dec 17, 2004, SOCALBOY122162 from Venice, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I grew this Heliconia cultivar successfuly in West Hollywood, CA with no problems. I gave it plenty of water to drink during the summer and whenever the Santa Ana winds blew and dried everything out. This is a winner, trust me. This species looks terrific under Archontophoenix cunnninghamiana, 'illawara'. It is very compatible with pinnate palms!

On Jun 15, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the most cold hardy of all the Heliconia, surviving fine in zone 9a with minimal damage, and regrowing from 8b frost (freezes to the ground). It is a nice, tropical looking plant for those colder gardens and the flowers are beautiful, upright, zig-zagging bracts of red to red-orange, each filled with an ornamental yellow-green flower. From the mountains of N Mexico. This is the Heliconia species you see in all the arboretums around Southern California and now easy to find at nurseries. Mine is in a pot and has done well for me so far (but is getting a bit root-bound- harmless for palms, but I don't know about other species)