PlantFiles: Desert Lantana, Hierba Negra, Mexican Marjoram, Veinyleaf Lantana, Mejorana
Lantana achyranthifolia

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lantana (lan-TAN-a) (Info)
Species: achyranthifolia

Synonym:Lantana macropoda

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Late Fall/Early Winter

Aromatic
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

By dstartz
Thumbnail #1 of Lantana achyranthifolia by dstartz

By artcons
Thumbnail #2 of Lantana achyranthifolia by artcons

Positive PamHou On Jun 11, 2014, PamHou from Houston, TX wrote:

Beautiful and hardy, the birds love it. Susceptible to thrips in midsummer, but can put up with drought, highs in the 100s or lows in mid-20s (comes back from the roots).

Positive KungFuGardener On Jun 23, 2012, KungFuGardener from Spring, TX wrote:

Here's a video that I made today of Lantana http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP13a9GN-1w

Neutral max12 On Sep 14, 2009, max12 from Sonoma, CA wrote:

I about 50 miles north of San Francisco. I just found this website. I planted what I think is this one 2 years ago. This Spring it was so big, I tried to dig it up to divide and the roots were so long I gave up. It got really big this year. I'm very interested in the information about the plants poisinous chacteristics. Mine is planted in my from side yard and I wouldn't have put it there if I knew it was poiisonous to animals because there are animails in the area and I have 2 cats. I've noticed that when working in that arae sometinms I feel incredibly tired in just a few minutes. I thought it wa sun but now I'm wondering if it's this plant. I have been really lethargic this season and I have brought it in as a cut flower because It's very pretty, even though I agree that it has an unpleasant smell close-up or with skin contact.. I don't use gloves when I cut flowers. One of my cats has had to have allergy shots the last two years coinciding with the plants existence in the garden. She literally scratches her fur off otherwise. I am wondering if this is the culprit. Though it looks like the other variety- camara? Can someone tell me the difference? The one I have does leave red marks on my skin when I work with it; scratches that itch.
thank you.

Neutral htop On Jan 31, 2009, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant. Desert Lantana, Hierba Negra, Mexican Marjoram, Veinyleaf Lantana, Mejorana (Lantana achyranthifolia) is native to Arizonz, New Mexico and Texas.

Positive artcons On Mar 24, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Easy to grow almost anywhere under a variety of conditions. Great bloomer from late February through mid December. Tri colored flower that change colors. Ripe berries in the winter months provide food for many birds, including Mockingbirds, who love 'em.
A favorite of many butterflies in my yard, especially when not too much else is blooming. I have better success with this plant keeping it short. It's easily trained and shaped. If not managed it will become very leggy and woody in the second year. The leaves have a slight abrasiveness and the woody branches can have small stickers. I have two other varieties, the solid gold flower and the orange pink flower. The gold flowered bush tends to be the smallest of the three colors I have.
Art