PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Red Grape'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Grape

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by darius

By DrDoolotz
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by DrDoolotz

Positive Wulfsden On Apr 15, 2009, Wulfsden from Riverdale, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow cherry/grape tomatoes in 12" plant pots, and trim them to be about 6" high and not much wider than the pot. I use recycled potting soil and Plant Tones Organic fertilizer sprinkling about a level teaspoon about once a week while plant is fruiting. They also get one treatment of liquid seaweed fertilizer when transplanted over whole plant, and one more when they set flower, but only over the roots. Unfortunately, my cherry tomato space is limited to 12 plants per season, so I only grow 2 of each variety per year.

Last year the groundhog managed to break into my cherry den, and wiped out a couple of plants. I bought 3 flats of husky red cherry from the nursery. Imagine my surprise when one of them turned out to be a red grape instead. (Almost as big, as when I realized that that the next message in this blog also got this plant by accident.) This was an off year for my cherries. This plant saved the day. It produced early and often. The tomatoes were unremarkable, but I got them by the sackload. I saved the seed and now have two new plants growing in the bathroom. Imagine my surprise when I realized that they are not going to breed true. (Almost as big as when I realized the gardener in the final message has made the same mistake and also has mystery plants??? Oh well!! Maybe we can compare notes.). Since I cannot reproduce this plant from seeds, I doubt I will be growing it again. It is no better than many I can easily propagate.

Neutral SLO_Garden On Jul 14, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I grew Red Grape by accident as the plant was mislabled at the nursery. Red Grape is very prolific but extremely average in flavor. The outerwall of the tomatoes are thick, with very little gel and seed. If you are looking for a sweet, flavorful cherry-type tomato, this isn't it. However, you couldn't kill this plant with a blow torch.

Neutral DrDoolotz On Jul 25, 2005, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I liked the taste of this tomato although I found the skins to be tougher than I would prefer in a small tomato. It works well as a pizza topping though, because the skin softens well. I would grow it again - it is quite prolific. It's just not one of my favourites.

Neutral Farmerdill On Aug 4, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This particular cultivar is a hybrid introduced by D. Palmer.

Negative Kim_M On Aug 3, 2004, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This tomato is very tastey. Unfortunately it did not return as the same tomato the next year. I saved the seeds and now have some kind of new tomato.

Brownsboro, Alabama