Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Red Grape'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Grape

Centreville, Virginia

positive
negative

On Apr 15, 2009, Wulfsden from Riverdale, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow cherry/grape tomatoes in 12" plant pots, and trim them to be about 6" high and not much wider than the pot. I use recycled potting soil and Plant Tones Organic fertilizer sprinkling about a level teaspoon about once a week while plant is fruiting. They also get one treatment of liquid seaweed fertilizer when transplanted over whole plant, and one more when they set flower, but only over the roots. Unfortunately, my cherry tomato space is limited to 12 plants per season, so I only grow 2 of each variety per year.

Last year the groundhog managed to break into my cherry den, and wiped out a couple of plants. I bought 3 flats of husky red cherry from the nursery. Imagine my surprise when one of them turned out to be a red grape instead. (Almost as big, as when I realized ... read more

On Jul 14, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I grew Red Grape by accident as the plant was mislabled at the nursery. Red Grape is very prolific but extremely average in flavor. The outerwall of the tomatoes are thick, with very little gel and seed. If you are looking for a sweet, flavorful cherry-type tomato, this isn't it. However, you couldn't kill this plant with a blow torch.

On Jul 25, 2005, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I liked the taste of this tomato although I found the skins to be tougher than I would prefer in a small tomato. It works well as a pizza topping though, because the skin softens well. I would grow it again - it is quite prolific. It's just not one of my favourites.

On Aug 4, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This particular cultivar is a hybrid introduced by D. Palmer.

On Aug 3, 2004, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This tomato is very tastey. Unfortunately it did not return as the same tomato the next year. I saved the seeds and now have some kind of new tomato.