PlantFiles: Passion Flower, Passionflower, Passion Vine, Passionvine
Passiflora sprucei

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: sprucei (SPROOS-ee-eye) (Info)

Blue-Violet

Thumbnail #6 of Passiflora sprucei by LouisianaMark

By growin
Thumbnail #7 of Passiflora sprucei by growin

Positive markrs On May 23, 2013, markrs from San Carlos, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Almost all of the comments below do not refer to Passiflora sprucei, a tropical species from South America that is not a common garden plant in the United States.

Instead, the comments (with the obvious exception LouisianaMark's) seem to refer to the native Passiflora incarnata, or some generic "Passion Vine" that has typically caused problems in a climate where Passiflora sprucei cannot survive.

I hope the editors of Dave's Garden can figure out a way to fix this situation. Until then, those interested in opinions about Passiflora sprucei should consult another source.

Negative chrisguro On Jun 27, 2011, chrisguro from Hellertown, PA wrote:

App. 3 years ago, I put a fence in my flower garden & planted passion flower to grow around it. Got sick & didn't tend to it last year, although I pulled everything I could out twice. It took over everything. Barely able to save the bushes. Pulled everything left of it out beginning of this year, replanted garden, & they are still coming up everywhere. They grow about 4" a day and attaches and chokes anything near it. Even within the roots of my newly planted flowers. Spoke to a Master Gardener, he recommends I dig up the roots & paint a herbicide on them. I really dislike using herbicide, we all have wells here. It's a nightmare, the roots are so thick & it's difficult to dig down as far as they are. I'll never get rid of this thing. I would never, ever plant another.

Positive mkjones On May 31, 2011, mkjones from Aurora, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this vine. Not only does it provide a host plant for monarch caterpillars, it recovers and then blooms its uniquely beautiful blossoms! I have noted, however, that "volunteers" have come up near its in-ground spot, so due to other comments, I'll keep an eye on the "invasion" and strike when necessary! ;-)

Positive Lynx636 On Jan 28, 2010, Lynx636 from Portland, OR wrote:

In Portland, Oregon, the common blue Passiflora survives the winter, but usually dies back quite a bit, losing leaves and arms of the vine. We have temps down to 0 degrees F occasionally, and I think this is what keeps passionflower from being invasive here. I have three on fences in the back yard, and we get a few flowers and fruit every year, but I would really love to see more of them! It's all about the winter chill.

Neutral flowers4bees On Oct 19, 2009, flowers4bees from Bedias, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful vine, beautiful flowers, smells wonderful, interesting fruit, food source for frittiary butterflies. But, it is incredibly invasive. It grows wild around here, and is usually a small plant. Put it in a garden setting with good soil and water and it grows like wildfire.

I dug as much as I could out of my garden area today. The parent roots go down about 18-24" then they spread out horizontally sending out shoots as they go. The roots, even though they almost as thick as a finger are very weak. They break easily when pulled, I was lucky to get a 12" piece at a time. I'm afraid I'll be pulling shoots for a long time to come.

Negative mudlily On Jul 21, 2009, mudlily from Wichita Falls, TX wrote:

My first passion vine was a very tame native species. Well, when the garden shop had some gorgeous blue vines, I bought 2! The roots have started spreading at about twenty feet from the parent plant. I jerk all the starts up, but know deep in my heart that won't cure the problem.

I want to put corrugated tin as a root barrier, but need to know how deep the roots grow. Please let me know the root depth so I can keep the lovelies in their place.

Positive LouisianaMark On Jun 7, 2009, LouisianaMark from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

Most passion vines will become invasive if they are planted in the ground. If you plant them in a pot (3 to 5 gallon), they are very well behaved. Passiflora sprucei is a very rapid grower, with thin 3-lobed leaves. If it starts to get out of control, just cut it back. The flowers on this one are about 2 inches across.

Negative TxSugarMagnolia On May 4, 2009, TxSugarMagnolia from Yoakum, TX wrote:

Although this plant has beautiful and unique flowers, over the years I have found that the negatives of having this vine around outweighs any visual pleasure obtained from its gorgeous blooms. My mother and I bought this as a small plant in a nursery, and it did not do well in the pot after we got it home. As a last ditch effort to save it, we planted it in the ground with a trellis as support. Little did we know how invasive it would become. It survived, thrived, and quickly grew over fencing, up trees, along the ground, and nearly choked other plants to death. I have spent much time trimming back the thing. BEWARE! This plant is extremely aggressive, and once it gets a foothold, it will suffocate anything in its path. Sorry, but I cannot recommend this plant.

Neutral chicochi3 On Jan 4, 2009, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant has a really pretty flower, but the vines are coming up all over my yard including in my flowers beds. Just one more vine to come up where I don't want it!

Positive GaWeedpicker On Oct 27, 2008, GaWeedpicker from Folkston, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Was given my original plant (around the size of a toothpick) from my sister-in-law who grew it in Maryland. Brought it to south Georgia as a transplant, and it has grown profusely since. It's flowers are showy and grab the attention of those pulling into our driveway who have never seen that type of flower before. I was once told it looks like an alien from another planet!! I use it as a way to introduce it to someone who may be unfamiliar with the passion flower, as well as sharing the story behind the flower's name (the story of Jesus Christ). I also have this vine that flowers in a crimson color at the rear of our house, and it is just as showy. It can be intrusive, but as long as you cut it back you'll minimize it's covering ability. Can be a little messy after being eaten by the caterpillars, and will pop up at unexpected places.

Neutral tmccullo On Nov 21, 2007, tmccullo from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

We planted the lavender color vine and a vine with a red flowers about 2 years ago. The flowers are beautiful and they attract bumble bees. You guys are right, it is a pretty invasive vine. We are going to leave it covering our garden as a protection against and frost and the cut it way back in the spring.

Has anyone gotten any fruit from their vine? We have had none.

Negative mathie On Oct 17, 2007, mathie from San Jose, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Pros: attract bees, the orange fruit looks nice, it covers my fence nicely
Cons: invasive, grow too fast, many dead branches/fruits keep hanging on make its ugly, dropping seeds on my garden sprout zillions of little ones. I had to remove it from the fence almost completely.

I would not recommended this plant

Positive ilsebil On Sep 10, 2007, ilsebil from Sugar Land, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Yes, these are vigorous plants, but I love my passion vines. ... and so do the butterflies! I want as many as possible. In zone 8b, they require part sun.

Positive FolsomFallies On May 21, 2007, FolsomFallies from Kyle, TX wrote:

Passion vine is an extremely fast growing vine that can be invasive. It is an important addition to your garden because it is a host plant to Zebra Longwing and the Gulf Fritillary butterfly. I moved my vine from my front to my back yard because the damage the caterpillars did was a bit unsightly at my front door. The vine Since then I have had several voluntary vines pop up in the front and have suceeded in moving most to the back fence. I love the unusual flower and scent and highly reccomend this plant.

Positive purplepetunia On Oct 22, 2006, purplepetunia from Savannah, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted this to grow on a dead tree stump that had not been removed. It is in the middle of the yard with full sun.
Heard it could be invasive, but have never found it growing in another area. This is the third year and it has grown faster and bloomed more this year than before.
The gulf frits are constantly laying eggs and the cats eat lots of leaves, but there is enough leaves to keep it covered. I really love this vine.

Positive gcfq On Apr 25, 2006, gcfq from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Loved this plant. My husbands aunt pulled up a root to give to us. The butterflies love it and they look great floating in my pool for partys. I just put them in floating glasses with candles. Hurricane and fence repair took it and I'm starting another one but it's not doing as well. My husband shows a picture of the flower to all like it's his baby!

Negative kgygarden On Oct 1, 2005, kgygarden from Kenner, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Grows wild in the lot behind my house and I can't keep it out of my yard. Loved it at first because it's very attractive, but it comes up all over my yard, in my flower beds. Digging a new bed, I found a network of vines underneath the grass. If you know how to get rid of it please let me know.

Negative LaLambchop On Aug 13, 2005, LaLambchop from Chapin, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a beautiful plant, but will cover everything in sight. It is very INVASIVE! I would never, never have it.

Positive bigwave On Jun 27, 2005, bigwave from Brandon, FL wrote:

Excellent host plant for butterflies. If ya want a permanent population of butterflies the kids luv um, you'll need to plant host plants. The plant has beautiful long vines that are green and showy., with very nice fragrant flowers. The little bit of maintenance required to to trim back this plant is far outweighed by the plant itself.

Negative txflowerlady On May 19, 2005, txflowerlady from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Although the flower is beautiful - it is very invasive. When someone gave me a plant that came up in her yard from the mother plant (That should have been my first clue.) I was trilled, the flowers where beautiful and smelled wonderful, then reality set in. Vines started coming up in the yard, under the storage shed, and in the flower beds. I pulled the plant up last fall - I am still pulling vines out of the flower beds, yard, and out from underneath the storage shed. The vines spread via the root system. I will probably be pulling Passion Vines for a long time.

Gardendale, Alabama
Maitland, Florida
Naples, Florida
Niceville, Florida
Nokomis, Florida
Ocala, Florida (2 reports)
Ocoee, Florida
Glencoe, Missouri
Buffalo, New York
Cleveland, Ohio
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Abilene, Texas (2 reports)
Bedias, Texas