Danglepod, Hemp Sesbania

Sesbania herbaceae

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sesbania (ses-BAN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: herbaceae
Synonym:Sesbania exaltata

Not Applicable

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Daytona Beach, Florida

Greenwood, South Carolina

Kurten, Texas

On Mar 13, 2011, LoveForests from FU
United States (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have seen this plant grow "7 feet high" in Cape Coral, Florida, (because it was not mowed-down).

Looks just like a weed, even when it grows very tall.

On May 9, 2007, docturf from Conway, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

Hemp Sesbania can be (and usually is) an invasive weed in the NE coastal region of South Carolina. I cannot recommend its use in this area. Docturf

On May 7, 2007, Lonne99 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I purchased this plant, also called a rattlebox, from a local nursery that specializes in native Texas plants. However, the blooms are bright orange instead of yellow. The plant is deciduous and bare-stemmed in the winter but comes back nicely.

On Nov 5, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

My plant was a gift from the birds that frequent the utility wires on the Eastern border of my yard.
I noted when I first discovered it that it was different from other weeds that appear in this area. I monitored if for about 4 or 5 days. Because it was growing so fast, I knew it wasn't a regular weed in the yard. I transplanted it to a one gallon pot for about a week and a half. It was growing too fast to remain in that pot. Now it's in a three gallon pot and doing nicely. The plant shown is six weeks old. It's over 4' tall out of the 3 gallon pot.
It has been flowering daily with small, yellow, flower clusters shown larger than life in the inset of my picture. The flowers are about 3/8" in diameter.
The plant is a Florida native.

On Jul 27, 2005, zsnp from Pensacola, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

THIS PLANT LOVES PARTIAL SHADE. The tallest one I ever noticed was about a foot high. Here in Pensacola, this weed is very common. Trying to pull them out by hand is totally useless. You are just wasting your time. They will grow back in no time!

My advice is this: Just try to ignore this plant. Don't focus on what you cannot do. Focus on what you CAN do. For example, plant some beautiful flowers and nice, low-maintenance, non-invasive trees. Buy grass. Mow the lawn regularly. That's the best way you can improve your yard. Pulling up weeds is just a waste of time in my opinion.

On Nov 13, 2004, cherishlife from Pocola, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Arkansas has this plant listed as a noxious weed in the plant.usda.gov site.