Macarthur Palm

Ptychosperma macarthurii

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ptychosperma (tik-oh-SPER-muh) (Info)
Species: macarthurii

Partial to Full Shade

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Huntington Beach, California

Pompano Beach, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida

Hana, Hawaii

On May 4, 2014, kimanjo from Southgate, FL wrote:

Sarasota, FL.. I planted this palm (actually, a clump of 3) in 2002 at my new home. The plant was appx 6 feet tall at time of purchase. Twelve years later and the palms are still alive, beside my pool cage (northwestern corner--yikes) and are appx 20' tall. I am ashamed to say I do nothing to take care of the palms, except water them with my automatic sprinkler system, and they are doing well. I also have a clump of Carpentaria palms purchased at the same time from the same vendor and those are doing well, also. The only problem with is that both sets of plants are exposed to wind (as they are taller than my roofline) and the fronds tend to become a bit tattered during windy periods. For the most part, though, they are nice-looking plants.

On Nov 14, 2007, Poulet from Bangkok
Thailand wrote:

It's one of an easy growing plant in Thailand and it's a popular plant for Landscape architectures.

On Jun 17, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the two most common Ptychospermas in cultivation, from N Australia and New Guinea. It is a tall, spreading clumping species with premorse leaflets and thin, grey, barely ringed trunks. It is found throughout the tropical world being used in malls, parking lots, indoors and in many gardens. It is fast growing and the fruits are bright red making it useful as an ornamental. Here in southern California it is a marginal palm, but does succeed in zone 10a... just slow as molassas. I have seen clumps that looked great, though, along the coast.