Damianita daisy
Chrysactinia mexicana

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chrysactinia (kris-ak-TIN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: mexicana (meks-sih-KAY-nuh) (Info)

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Aromatic

Provides winter interest

This plant is resistant to deer

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Cypress, California

Vista, California

Henderson, Nevada

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Arlington, Texas

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Boerne, Texas

Crawford, Texas

Dripping Springs, Texas

Helotes, Texas

Kerrville, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)

On Oct 26, 2014, BerniJilka from Tucson, AZ wrote:

I am looking for seed of Damianita daisy? Can anyone help me?

On Apr 26, 2013, KWM_SA from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I planted these from 4 inch pots in the Spring of 2010 in full-sun on a slope with western (lots of afternoon sun) exposure and they have thrived through several extremely dry summers with very little supplemental watering.

They are low-growing (about 1') and spread out to maybe 2' across. They bloom profusely in early March with lovely yellow blossoms all over. I have had them re-bloom if we have a rainy period (usually in the fall). They are evergreen with dark-green foliage. Excellent for the front of a bed. They pair well with Pink Skullcap (scutellaria suffrutescens) here in Texas which blooms more during the late spring/summer.

This year for the first time mine have reseeded but not profusely and just nearby. Sounds like they are more prone to r... read more

On Jan 6, 2013, shindagger from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I dug my first small plant up out of a crack in a concrete parking lot by a Hispanic church with a car-key. It was a volunteer growing in the blazing sun but this was right after a rain. The place was planted all in Texas natives and I agree with Marasi, it will grow in hard difficult conditions as she says. Mine is now a good sized mature plant and I have lots of seedlings in various sizes. The smell is fabulous. It looks good in or out of bloom.

On Dec 1, 2009, marasri from Dripping Springs, TX wrote:

This plant grows in solid hard white chalky caliche wagon road naturally and spreads. A plant doesn't get much tougher than that. It will probably grow in solid schist or decomposed granite. The smell is beyond heavenly, especially during an Ice Storm. Following a wet late winter, the hills erupt in yellow in early spring. It is easy to germinate but it is a slow grower. It is a good companion plant for cactus and prickly pear . I want more, always more.

On Jan 15, 2009, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Damianita daisy (Chrysactinia mexicana) has performed outstandingly well in my yard as a low border plant in well drained soil, full sun and a very hot location. It has tended to lean over at times (cats after butterflies may be a factor). I pruned mine back in the spring last year and it became very dense with lots and lots of blooms. It has been thriving in severe drought conditions with occasional supplemental water. Do not water from above. One of the best low growing plants for areas that have extreme heat, good drainage and little rainfall. Love it.

On Jul 6, 2006, LindaTX8 from NE Medina Co., TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is native to the Hill Country area where I live. It's drought-tolerant, available at some nurseries and is just beautiful when it blooms! The foliage is fragrant (crush a leaf to get the full effect). I've have it growing naturally on the hillside above my house and from time to time transplant a couple in my yard for close-up enjoyment. It has to be moved very carefully, will die if it isn't done just right. Mine are less than a foot tall. I assume it needs good drainage and thrives on full sun and an occasional watering when rain doesn't come, but don't overdo it with established plants.