Zinnia
Zinnia elegans 'Magellan Coral'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zinnia (ZIN-ya) (Info)
Species: elegans (ELL-eh-ganz) (Info)
Cultivar: Magellan Coral

Not Applicable

Blooms all year

Flowers are good for cutting

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Denver, Colorado

Palm Harbor, Florida

Hebron, Kentucky

Macomb, Michigan

Columbus, Ohio

Mercer, Pennsylvania

Reading, Pennsylvania

On Aug 23, 2008, Florida9 from Palm Harbor, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I started these from seed indoors and had them out front and blooming by April, matching the color of the small crown-of-thorns behind them. I am thrilled that they are still blooming strongly in late August after a hot humid few months here. As long as I trim off the fading flowers every few days they continue to bloom freely. I did have to spray them with a little Physan for fungus a couple of times, but they did much better than the Dreamland Pink I planted out back, which died in July. I threw the old flowers in the back of the flower bed, where they self-seeded freely. I moved a few of the seedlings up front to extend the row, but had failed to figure they wouldn't come true. I now have some deeper reds and one bright orange zinnia! I will definitely repeat these next year.

On Jun 21, 2007, kimmy222 from Reading, PA wrote:

My plants have just opened their first blooms from seeds that I started indoors. This was my first time growing these zinnia and every seed did germinate. Although they have shorter stems, they do last for over a week in water and still look fresh. Their large bloom size is impressive to boot. I was so impressed with the coral that I purchased the Magellan seed mix for next season.

On May 6, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Excellent dwarf bedding zinnia which performs well in the heat and humidity of Houston. Compact, uniform plants with fully double, 4-5 inch blooms. Ideal for both bedding and container gardening! 2005 AAS winner. Hybrid.