PlantFiles: Zinnia
Zinnia elegans 'Magellan Coral'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zinnia (ZIN-ya) (Info)
Species: elegans (ELL-eh-ganz) (Info)
Cultivar: Magellan Coral

Not Applicable

Blooms all year

Flowers are good for cutting
Flowers are good for drying and preserving

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By Paulwhwest
Thumbnail #1 of Zinnia elegans by Paulwhwest

By tcfromky
Thumbnail #2 of Zinnia elegans by tcfromky

By kimmy222
Thumbnail #3 of Zinnia elegans by kimmy222

By sanannie
Thumbnail #4 of Zinnia elegans by sanannie

Positive Florida9 On Aug 23, 2008, Florida9 from Palm Harbor, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I started these from seed indoors and had them out front and blooming by April, matching the color of the small crown-of-thorns behind them. I am thrilled that they are still blooming strongly in late August after a hot humid few months here. As long as I trim off the fading flowers every few days they continue to bloom freely. I did have to spray them with a little Physan for fungus a couple of times, but they did much better than the Dreamland Pink I planted out back, which died in July. I threw the old flowers in the back of the flower bed, where they self-seeded freely. I moved a few of the seedlings up front to extend the row, but had failed to figure they wouldn't come true. I now have some deeper reds and one bright orange zinnia! I will definitely repeat these next year.

Positive kimmy222 On Jun 21, 2007, kimmy222 from Reading, PA wrote:

My plants have just opened their first blooms from seeds that I started indoors. This was my first time growing these zinnia and every seed did germinate. Although they have shorter stems, they do last for over a week in water and still look fresh. Their large bloom size is impressive to boot. I was so impressed with the coral that I purchased the Magellan seed mix for next season.

Positive dmj1218 On May 6, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Excellent dwarf bedding zinnia which performs well in the heat and humidity of Houston. Compact, uniform plants with fully double, 4-5 inch blooms. Ideal for both bedding and container gardening! 2005 AAS winner. Hybrid.

Denver, Colorado