Kumaon Palm

Trachycarpus takil

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Trachycarpus (trak-ee-KAR-pus) (Info)
Species: takil

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Partial to Full Shade

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Brentwood, California

Glen Allen, Virginia

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Grafton, Wisconsin

On Jun 5, 2013, TimBryant from FEEDING HILLS, MA wrote:

I bought T. takil from Plant Delights. It survived two winters up here in MA, then croaked after the third winter (which was severe). The cold did not kill the plant, but the extended moisture and icing on the plant. I provide no winter protection, so it was on it's own to survive. Even after the first two winters, the plant never thrived.

That being said, I believe if kept in a cold frame or cold garage, for the first few winters, the plant may be able to survive up here. I believe that the diminutive size of the plant when set out, was the key to it's demise.

On Oct 15, 2011, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

This palm was very hard to find, I got one from Great Ebayer seller. When I get the Palms. Part of the reason is for buying so many Palms from them.

On Oct 2, 2010, jimhardy from Fairfield, IA wrote:

Seeds from Takil have only come to the USA in the past 2 years,
which means no one in this country(with VERY few exceptions)has one of any size.

So when you read anything in this list remember it is not an accurate account from someone owning a Takil-most likely Nainital.

Just wanted to add after reading others descriptions that no one
on here is actually growing a real Takil so none of these are valid.

On Mar 17, 2010, gtr1017 from Roanoke, VA wrote:

Died to the ground here zone 7a / 6b border in 15" of snow....G

On Mar 12, 2007, mikayak from Severn, MD wrote:

This will be the third year for mine. It looks great - survived about 6 this past winter. I got mine from Plant Delights in 2005. It is small and I cover it with a large flower pot during the coldest part of winter.
I expect it to grow quite a bit this year as it is now well established.

On Feb 19, 2006, CHPinOH7 from Perrysburg, OH wrote:

Hardy to -5F in my yard with no protection. The lowest it has gotten in my yard since it has been in the ground is -7F. I didnt protect it then and only the tips burned. it has survived succesfully for 2 years in my garden and i think it is worth a try for zones 6a-8b. My yard is 6a but with protection i can safely say it would be 6b.

On Nov 26, 2005, estiva from Grafton, WI wrote:

I can't say this plant will survive unprotected in my 5b Wisconsin climate. However, It survived the November 15th-17th shocker, when the thermometer dipped to 12F on two successive nights. This is a 2-3 year-old plant that I got into the ground in the Spring of this year.

The T. takil survived unscathed, in mid-summer form. My similiar sized T. Fortunei survived with slight burning to the peripheral leaves--the interior and spear leaves are fine.

I also have three T. Fortuneis that I kept (they're inside now) on my deck in clay pots. Two of the three survived with minor damage to the peripheral leaves, the other had a little more extensive burning, but I expect will recover.

For long-term chances, I will winter protect with artificial heat.... read more

On Aug 12, 2005, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

For many years in the nursery trade what was called 'Trachycarpus takil' was actually Trachycarpus wagnerianus, and that error still continues to this day, though, thankfully, many are starting to figure out the mistake. They are very different looking palms. This is the biggest of all the Trachycarpus. I have yet to see a mature one in person, but photos of plants taken in Asia show it to be a large tree, somewhat similar in appearance to the common windmill palm, Trachycarpus fortunei, only somewhat larger. It has a supposedly uniquely asymetric leaf where it attaches to the petiole (an area called the hosta) so maturing plants should be easy to identify. However, there has been some thoughtful deliberation and research that has gone into the history of T takil... And there is some ... read more

On Aug 12, 2005, sylvainyang from Edmond, OK wrote:

I got this Takil from Gerry's Jungle. Yellowish Green leaves. It's authentic, because it's from the Gibon's. It's not a cheap plant compare with Fortunei (Windmill Palm). $70 for 2 Gallons with UPS shipings.

The strong wind in Oklahoma BROKE all the leaves. It's still survived and growing a new leaf now. That makes it not ornemental any more. The strong wind does broke the Windmill Palm which plant beside it as well. Since the Windwill grow leaves fast, with a hairy trunk, it won't look that bad.

04/15/06 the grow point pulled spear regrown now!!! I am glad that I pull it out before it got molded inside. It was a good ideal to plant it in the ground in early spring right after the last frost.
The broken leaves things made me switch my palm plantations ... read more

On Jan 6, 2005, DrZ from Woodbury, CT wrote:

I have successfully overwintered the plant for 2years now in my Zone 6b-5a southern exposure. This(2004-5) will be its third winter.

After spraying the plant with antidessicant and copper based fungicide (neem oil burned it),iconstruct a hardware cloth cage around the palm leaving a foot of air space around and on top of it; I then build a second cage of Turkey wire around the hardware cloth,leaving a foot between the two cages. The second cage is stuffed with leaves and hay;the device is then covered in a white,semi-opaque tarp.

This technique has been successful in overwintering many of my marginal plants,including Zamia (Florida cootie) Cycads,Agaves, and other palms and hardy bananas.

Happy gardening,