Cucumber 'General Lee'

Cucumis sativus

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: sativus (sa-TEE-vus) (Info)
Cultivar: General Lee
» View all varieties of Cucumbers

Augusta, Georgia

Ozark, Missouri

Charlestown, Rhode Island

On May 5, 2014, Krispi from Canyon Lake, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

How is this cucumber for making your stomach hurt?

On Aug 10, 2009, saanansandy from Sue, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is the first year growing this variety and am very happy w/ the results. Leaf chewing bugs have for the most part left it alone(no spraying either), very good producer, and so far no bitter cucumbers. Nice straight producer. No signs of wilt. Highly recommend and will grow again.

On Jul 8, 2009, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

Over the years I've probably grown a dozen of the most popular cucumber varieties. I planted General Lee for the first time this year, seeded direct into my garden the first week of May and we're getting heavy production now 60 days later.

I really like this cucumber, it's the best I've ever grown. It's very productive, the 'cukes are straight and dark green with white interior. The flavor is very good, and they stay crisp. I planted a 16' row, trained up on a 5' tall wire cattle panel. The vines fill that fence, but they're not extremely long and they're not growing into adjoining rows of vegetables. With General Lee I think I've finally found a cucumber variety I'll plant year after year.

On Jun 24, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1998 hybrid slicer.
According to one source: "General Lee has been a top yielder in its class for years. It is a 66 day main season variety that performs in spring and fall planting. General Lee is tough against Scab, DM, PM, and tolerates Cucumber Mosaic Virus. With good heat set, General Lee produces high yields of top quality product. The vine is large and vigorous and the dark green foliage provides good cover. General Lee produces impressive fruit with uniform shape and dark green color. Fruit are very straight, have white spines and typically measure 8 to 8.5 inches long (20 - 21.6 cm). General Lee has great shipping ability plus top yields and high fruit quality, making it a leader in its class. "