Tomato 'Amana Orange'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Amana Orange

Tullahoma, Tennessee

Dripping Springs, Texas

Ogden, Utah

On Jun 15, 2011, LarryR from South Amana, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I would like to pass along some historical information about the Amana Orange tomato. This very popular tomato is listed on many websites that offer tomato seeds or plants. Its origin is mistakenly attributed to the Amana Colonies, seven former communal villages in eastern Iowa. It is actually a selection made by Gary Staley that he found growing in his tomato patch in 1984 in Brandon, Florida. He named it 'Amana Orange' because he was once employed by an appliance manufacturer in Amana, Iowa.

Larry Rettig, Co-owner
Amana Heritage Society Seed Bank
South Amana, IA

On Jan 11, 2011, sugarpine from San Jose, CA wrote:

Amana Orange was ok. The large fruit was delicious, nice and sweet. However, the fruits cracked a lot and often rotted on the vine. Production was low, too. I probably only got 4 good fruit for the year. Most of my other varieties did excellently. This one did not.

On Jan 14, 2009, Spriggin from Selma, OR wrote:

I have grown this tomato from the same packet of seed for 3 years now. Strong plants, huge brilliant fruit but not a taste I'd run up hill for; rather bland, but I will continue to grow it as it adds beautiful contrast in salads, salsa and when canned. It ripens slightly later than my other varieties.

On Jun 18, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

I grew Amana Orange for the first time last year, and really liked it. It is large, firm, with a steak-like texture. It has a nice flavor and bright orange appearance. Although it was late season, the plants were fairly productive. I will definitely grow it again.

On Jul 25, 2006, BDale60 from Warren, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I've yet to find another orange/gold heirloom tomato I like as much as "Amana Orange". The size, appearance, taste, and productivity (within this category) were all excellent.

On Apr 3, 2005, Rob300L from Bowling Green, KY wrote:

If you are looking for a tomato that could be in the dictionary next to the definition of orange, this is it . . . this tomato isn't yellow or just sort of orange. Exceptionally meaty, medium sized fruits. As hardy as my other tomatoes as far as the diseases and six-legged critters are concerned (two other varieties bit the dust last year -- one from disease and one from aphid blitzkrieg -- 5 others survived). No trouble with cracking, but most of my tomatoes did well last year as far as cracking is concerned.

On Jun 25, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A golden beefsteak listed as an heirloom. It seems to have less catfacing than the Golden Ponderosa but resembles that cultivar to the point that it could be a strain. It is difficult to distinguish between them in the field. It has sufficient disease resistance to survive here. Sets a lot of medium size fruit on a mid size plant. The ones without support are actually doing better than the caged plants.