Oxalis, Wood Sorrel

Oxalis depressa

Family: Oxalidaceae
Genus: Oxalis (oks-AL-iss) (Info)
Species: depressa (de-PRESS-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Oxalis inops

Prague, Oklahoma

Broaddus, Texas

Harker Heights, Texas

On Sep 15, 2006, pixie62560 from South China, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this little plant. Easy to care for, interesting foliage, beautiful flowers. It is not invasive here in Maine, actually a bit slow to get going.

On Mar 20, 2006, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

Lovely plant. Mines in part shade, but, I think it will do alot better in the sun after reading the other reveiws and seeing the pics. I thought mine had died untill it popped up last summer. It was a pleasant surprise that I didn't even remember was there! Nice pink flowers :)

On Apr 25, 2005, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Zone 8b, Broaddus, in southeast TX
Neighbor in Mesquite, TX gave me rooted cutting in 1 gal. pot. I brought it from there to my new home in Broaddus. Planted as border plant. It transplanted really well.
One problem I do notice on some plants; there appears to be a fungial/viral infection on leaves which spreads to other plants. Wish I knew exactly what it is. However, the plants continue to bloom greatly.
This plant is exellent to naturalize, use as border plant, use in container arrangements.
It does very well in a variety of situations with not special pampering. I LOVE IT!

On Jan 30, 2005, grovespirit from Sunset Valley, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant, native to South Africa, loves sandy soil and sun. Here in Seaside CA we have plenty of both. What I like about this plant: It is very easy to grow, needs little care, and has pretty pink-mauve flowers which appear in Fall, and sometimes Spring too. It looks good naturalized in lawns and/or meadows. It does well in rock gardens too.

What I don't like about this plant: In good growing conditions, it spreads and reproduces like crazy, to the point of becoming somewhat invasive. Therefore, grow it in a pot or container unless you want it to colonize the entire area.