PlantFiles: Hedge Bamboo
Bambusa multiplex 'Alphonse Karr'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bambusa (bam-BOO-suh) (Info)
Species: multiplex (MUL-tih-pleks) (Info)
Cultivar: Alphonse Karr

Thumbnail #6 of Bambusa multiplex by BambooHQ

By sauraja
Thumbnail #7 of Bambusa multiplex by sauraja

Positive hardyinokc On Nov 3, 2014, hardyinokc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I have grown this bamboo in the ground in my OKC yard for several years. At 15-20 degrees it dies back to the ground but has always re-sprouted from the roots the following late spring. When planting this in zone 7, do not expect to see any life from it until the 1st of May, depending how warm the spring is.

Neutral Tuls On Sep 15, 2012, Tuls from Alachua, FL wrote:

I planted this bamboo last fall and in one year it has not grown hardly at all. I have one in full sun and one in partial shade. They look green and healthy, but almost the same size as 1 year ago. Is there any tricks to get them growing?

Positive sauraja On Nov 9, 2008, sauraja from Mesa, AZ wrote:

Planting nearly anything is a challenge in the Greater Phoenix area with our very poor, caliche filled soil. I planted one 5 gallon, 5 foot tall Alphonse Karr in May of 2007 after preparing a 16' long x 2' wide x 3' deep trench along a south wall that was dug, sifted and admended. I separated the bamboo into 3 sections and now in Nov of 2008 the new shoots are exceeding 8 feet in height and the clumps have grown from a dozen shoots to about 30 each that are twice the originals diameter. I pruned out the original skinny shoots in July of 2008. The bamboo is intended to produce a 10 foot high plus living privacy screen and to block the neighbors porch light and it is well on its way. I am in process of extending the trench to 32 feet and adding another separted bamboo to the additional trench in the Spring of 2009. In mid Summer, make sure you don't let the soil dry out or the new growth will stop at the height it is at the that time and you will have to wait for the next round of new shoots.

Positive popper1 On Sep 14, 2007, popper1 from Lakeland, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

A great bamboo. Very easy, fast growing, tight clumper. Culms are a beautiful yellow with green stripes. They can have pink and orange hues, especially when young. I trim the node branches off on the first four feet or so of the culms to really show them off. The leaves are deep green & dense. Mealy bugs can be a problem. They get in the branches at the nodes and can be difficult to get at. I use a systemic soil drench made for trees & shrubs once a year & it works like a charm.

Positive palmbob On Sep 26, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

this was one of my favorite bamboos back when a had a yard- great yellow to orange culms (especially orangey new culms) with irregular green striping. Had a severe problem with mealy bug and scale, though- plant much less hardy to problems than 'regular' B multiplex, and it struggled much of the time. Heavy dosing of pesticides hurt plant, too, which surprised me... so careful with diazazon with this one (I could not keep the ants away... and they brought all their 'friends').

Anniston, Alabama
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Trenton, Florida
Prospect, Kentucky
New Orleans, Louisiana
Elizabeth City, North Carolina (2 reports)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma