Black Bindweed, Wild Buckwheat, False Buckwheat

Fallopia convolvulus

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Fallopia (fal-OH-pee-uh) (Info)
Species: convolvulus (kon-VOLV-yoo-lus) (Info)
Synonym:Polygonum convolvulus

Pale Green

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Newport, New Hampshire

On Jun 22, 2016, Tiffit65 from Newport, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Imagine my surprise when I found my multi colored morning glories had seeded themselves from last year's flowers growing fast, and strong......to only find that it was in fact this wild buckwheat!
I don't know very much about this plant, but I have read it is a relative of bindweed, that grows at an alarming rate, with pretty pink striped white flowers, but takes over EVERYTHING, and suffocates shrubs, and trees. Should I let it continue growing alongside my Heavenly Blue morning glories, and Moonflowers?, I'm thinking no.
Where the heck do these things come from?! Now I have three nasties to deal with, Japanese knotweed, Garlic mustard, and now this! Geez-oh-pete, what next?!

On Jul 22, 2009, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is one of the impossible to get rid of weeds - it loves to climb any plants or any supports. Sometimes you miss them until it's too late. They have insignificant flowers but seeds like crazy.
Bindweed is a common name for this thought it's commonly confused with the morning glory family - even its species name is the same as the Family Convolvulaceae in which morning glory belong in.

On Aug 23, 2008, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant is horrible, it'll sprout up everywhere if you don't pull it out and choke out everything in it path. It isn't fussy about growing conditions either, I've had it grow in dry sandy soil in full hot sun and dry rockhard clay soil in the shade.