PlantFiles: Grape Hyacinth
Muscari armeniacum

Family: Hyacinthaceae
Genus: Muscari (mus-KAR-ee) (Info)
Species: armeniacum (ar-men-ee-AH-kum) (Info)

Synonym:Muscari colchicum

Thumbnail #6 of Muscari armeniacum by starshine

By Weezingreens
Thumbnail #7 of Muscari armeniacum by Weezingreens

Negative coriaceous On Feb 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This can be ornamental when planted in infrequently mown grass in a semi-wild area. But I hesitate to plant anything that's so hard to control. Once this is in your garden, there's no changing your mind.

My biggest complaint about this plant is the ugly foliage it produces both fall and spring. Especially in the fall, the long leaves, untidy to begin with, get tattered by frost and look ugly all through the winter. The spring flowers don't begin to make up for it.

This is not a plant for the tidy gardener. Personally, I prefer informal gardens that are a little disheveled, but this is too much even for me. I'd rather spend my money on squill.

Positive derekpotter On Nov 23, 2013, derekpotter from WsM
United Kingdom wrote:

They are growing in the herb garden and could quite easily be gathered with the chives :) so I wanted to find out if they are toxic. Dave's Garden says they are. Other sources say they are not, indeed they are eaten in Italy and taste like a bitter onion. Seems a shame to slander such a delightful and easy plant!

Negative vossner On Mar 17, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted 100 bulbs in 2011 and they did not bloom the following spring. They did bloom in spring 2013 but the flowers are so puny, I was very dissapointed with the show. I don't now if I have immature bulbs but this was just too much trouble for what I've gotten.

Positive herbella On Feb 27, 2012, herbella from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

This is such a difficult region to garden in that I don't mind the pretty spring flowers of grape hyacinth At first, it was in the flower bed in the courtyard. I didn't know what this plant was for about two years after we bought this house (our second one in this High Desert region of New Mexico) because its blooming season was so short and its leaves look like fat grass. Then I began to notice that it came up in the lawn! After I identified its leaves in the fall, I began to dig it up to transplant into another flower bed. Every time, it sprouted up in the lawn again. Last fall, I thought I had gotten all of the grape hyacinths out of the yard, but one little clump is showing itself at this moment (late February 2012) out in the lawn. Earlier comments made here have been helpful because now I know I am fighting a losing battle. I am about ready to turn our small lawn over to herbs and flowers anyway because chamomile is taking it over, but that is another subject.

Positive in2art On May 11, 2011, in2art from Bellevue, WA wrote:

These naturalize well, but spread where you would expect them to...where the seed drops and where the bulbs multiply. I have never had it pop up in a random spot.

Negative sweetkate On Apr 18, 2011, sweetkate from Ringgold, VA wrote:

You'd better be really, really sure you want this plant because you will never EVER be rid of it. Planting this little cutie was the biggest gardening mistake I ever made. It is impossible to remove all of the teeny bulblets this plant makes. I planted it in a flowerbed in my back yard about 10 years ago, and it's now everywhere, front yard, side yards - there's no stopping it. I'm really surprised this is not listed as a noxious weed, at least in my area (Virginia). Do yourself a favor and think twice about planting muscari aremeniacum. I've spent the last several years attempting to eradicate it, without much luck.

Positive Stargazer96 On Apr 20, 2010, Stargazer96 from Marion, OH wrote:

Small, bluish-purple flowers. Multiplies rapidly.

Positive FallyBerry On May 19, 2007, FallyBerry from Denver, CO wrote:

I love this plant. I have to dissagree with the negative Colorado poster, at least for my area. Considering the winter we had here if anything this spring would have been ugly for this plant, but they are all beautifully green all the way to the tips, and I have never seen them as the other Colorado poster describes. That is sad to hear, I am just north of Denver and they are very healthy, abudant and fully green. It is one of my favorite plants, I just wish they bloomed longer.

Negative Trailmix On May 2, 2006, Trailmix from Fort Collins, CO wrote:

Here in Colorado the foliage dies back and can be trimmed late summer, but these bulbs sprout new leaves in the fall instead of spring. Spending harsh winters above ground, the tips (and often half the length of the leaves) always wither to yellow and brown, so in the spring when the gorgeous flowers appear, they are sitting in a ratty bird's nest. I realize the bulbs could be dug up and replanted every year but what a hassle!

Although it's not a major complaint, I also wish they wouldn't spread so prolifically. Many of the new shoots don't bloom and end up looking like regular grass infesting the garden. And grape hyacinth can be tricky to remove if you ever decide to, because there are *lots* of small bulbs that are easy to miss, and sometimes they grow right up next to or under another plant that could be damaged by digging.

Positive TBGDN On Apr 12, 2006, TBGDN from Macy, IN wrote:

I have read so much about this little plant, and the one common word used by many authors is "invasive"! So what? So are dandelions and clover! This is such a welcome and refreshing sight in early to mid spring, I don't mind if it gets a little invasive. At least it grows carefree, blooms a bunch and brightens up the beds and lawn just when needed. From the information gathered, it comes to us from Armenia, therefore the species 'armeniacum'. The bees seem to love them as much as I do.

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Blooms in April-May in my garden. A nice, sweetly scented flower, that even though it spreads rampantly, isn't in the way. If you decide to get rid of them, it is a daunting task. My information says it is hardy in zones 3-11.

Neutral Jaywhacker On Feb 27, 2005, Jaywhacker from Kerrville, TX wrote:

This little plant has naturilized all over my 1/2 acre here just a few miles south of Kerrville, Texas. Came up and is flowering in late february. I have never planted any, they came with the place when I bought it. I didn,t recognize them and they have always been cut down with the weeds and grass in previous years. I plan to dig and pot them and see what the results are.

Positive melody On Jan 3, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Spreads like wildfire.

For someone who likes neat, orderly little rows of plants, you may want to think seriously about putting these in a pot and pulling the offspring that will escape anyway.

I've seen them spilling over the edges of raised beds and covering the ground at old homeplaces.

Virtually foolproof in z7, I love this little bulb. I like the carefree way it naturalizes and the waves of color it produces each Spring.

Positive pokerboy On Sep 3, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a very pretty bulb. It can be used as a border plant as it can spread rapidly. I bought 50 of these bulbs and they are all flowering now. It is a great sight. Other bulbs in my area which recieves very little rain come back stronger and more numerous year after year. pokerboy.

Positive henryr10 On Apr 15, 2004, henryr10 from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

While Tulips come and go and Daffs catch a late freeze and melt.
These little ones have endured and spread.
Blooming like clockwork for 18 years here at least.

Clay soil, under Maples, drought conditions and floods they keep coming back.
Brilliant blue w/ a nice heady aroma they are tops.
If you plant only one Spring flowering bulb this is my candidate.

Positive Greenknee On Feb 15, 2003, Greenknee from Chantilly, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant reproduces two ways - many offsets develop, and self seeds freely as well - thus the "invasive" label, true, but a very welcome invasion. To increase more rapidly, dig clumps in midsummer after flowering as plants are then dormant, foliage dies down. Replanted bulbs will develop fall foliage and carry it through a severe winter, then flower in spring. I can't have too many.

Positive Terry On Aug 31, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Nice interplanted among taller spring-flowering bulbs, especially 'Angelique' pink tulips. They can be invasive (I spent a couple hours digging up clumps in my yard this spring), but when corralled in a bed, they make a nice, traditional sign of springtime.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 31, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Plant bulbs 2 inches deep in the fall or division, can be invasive.

Neutral mystic On Aug 13, 2001, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Conical racemes of slightly fragrant, tightly packed, bell-shaped, royal blue flowers having a thin white line around the rim of each bell are borne on 6-9" scapes. Each bulb produces 1-3 flower scapes. Clumps of narrow, fleshy, somewhat floppy, basal leaves up to 12" long appear in autumn and live through the cold of winter. Flower scapes emerge in early spring. Good cut flower.

Montgomery, Alabama
, California
Garberville, California
Hoopa, California
Oakley, California
Denver, Colorado (2 reports)
Fort Collins, Colorado
, Ontario
Bend, Oregon
Dallas, Oregon
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Salem, Oregon (2 reports)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Columbia, South Carolina
Knoxville, Tennessee
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Thompson's Station, Tennessee
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Belton, Texas