PlantFiles: Toad Lily
Tricyrtis ohsumiensis

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tricyrtis (try-SER-tis) (Info)
Species: ohsumiensis (oh-soo-me-EN-sis) (Info)

Full Shade

Pale Yellow

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #1 of Tricyrtis ohsumiensis by DaylilySLP

By Moby
Thumbnail #2 of Tricyrtis ohsumiensis by Moby

By carolbob
Thumbnail #3 of Tricyrtis ohsumiensis by carolbob

Positive ms_greenjeans On Jun 12, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I just got two of these and planted them this spring (2010). They are growing well and look like they are ready to bloom; there are many buds forming. I am pleasantly surprised that I will see flowers already this year. I also like it that they bloom earlier in the year than other toad lilies. I do have some of the Blue Wonder variety; these really bloomed well last year and have multiplied significantly this year. I will have to watch in light of the other comment that they tend to die out within a few years. I hope not, because I have a real fascination with these unusual plants.

Positive Malus2006 On Jan 9, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This plant is very vigorous and I have divided a few plants into many different patches. Have flowers that look like orchids up close. Very zone Minnesota 4 hardy compare to other species. The few other purple flower species or cultivars tend to die after three or four years for me after starting to spread well. Could be too low temperature or disease? The only purple flower to survive for me is a cutivar by the now dead Rice Creek Nursery "Rice Creek" which is a dwarfer form but it's barely spreading but I have it for 5-6 years now on shaded rock garden slope. Seedheads held up for longer period of time until heavy snow crush them. Look good with medium to large hostas as they bloom during early summer while most hosta bloom mid to late summer and grows to about 1 1/2 to 2 feet tall. Likes neutral or alkaline soil compare to other species.

Dearborn Heights, Michigan