Euphorbia antisyphilitica

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: antisyphilitica (an-tee-sif-ih-LY-tih-kuh) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Benson, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (3 reports)

Scottsdale, Arizona

Tucson, Arizona

Mission Viejo, California

Reseda, California

Yorba Linda, California

Roswell, New Mexico

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Weatherford, Texas

Manson, Washington (2 reports)

On Jan 23, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- I recommend candelilla if you have a particularly hot, harsh spot. I have a candelilla plant growing in a medium-size pot against a light gray south facing stucco wall underneath a large window. It gets not only full sun, but lots of reflected light and heat. I do have the pot lined with Styrofoam sheets to try to insulate the soil a bit. But, the pot has no watering system and has gone as long as two months in summer without water. Despite these harsh conditions the candelilla grows nicely. My only other plant that survives in this location is made of metal.

On Sep 6, 2014, Cereuspete from Tucson, AZ wrote:

My first experience with this unassuming plant was in the higher elevations (4000') overlooking Benson, AZ in Southeastern Arizona. It thrived in that climate in full sun in well draining soil.

Now, in my garden in Tucson, AZ with a considerably lower elevation, it seems to do better in a light, dappled shade. It creates a striking clump of blue-grey/green spires, tallest in the middle and tapering to the plant's margins. Looks great beside water features, where it assumes the visual role of the moisture loving horsetails.

On Sep 4, 2011, XerosOrchid from Scottsdale, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had this plant for at least four winters and summers now. I can positively say, that this is one of the hardiest euphorbias I have ever owned.

In 2,200 ft altitude, Zone 9b, my plastic-potted Candelilla (as originally bought from the nursery) survived 3 days of 19-25 degrees Fahrenheit next to a Palo Verde tree. Having grown to a very large plant, and having cast its roots through the bottom of the pot, I was unable to bring it into the house; instead I tossed a towel over it and left it where it was. It sustained some die-back from the freeze, and bounced right back to about double-size this summer. As a side note, during the freeze, the soil in the pot was bone dry.

After consulting with the original grower, I yanked the pot from where it had rooted t... read more

On Oct 28, 2009, bisonplants1 from Manson, WA wrote:

Grown in a pot: during the warm months it is outside, moved indoors during the winter months that freeze. Mine has flowered up thru October. Had a killback from frost last year, but has grown twice as much this year as last year. Some of the stems are over 3 foot in length.

On Aug 13, 2009, gpc from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I have candelilla growing in a cactus garden with full western exposure against a brick wall. It not only grows but flourishes in the blazing Texas heat. It can be kept in check by running a sharp shovel around the clump and removing any offshoots outside that boundary. Individual stems will suffer slight freeze damage but the specimen in general is hardy and prolific. Its a wonderful addition to any cactus garden, rock garden or xeriscape with it's vertical growth habit.

On Sep 21, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a plant I see sometimes at non-specialty nurseries, though it usually tends to be expensive. Historically used for a LOT of medical uses (one in particular as the name suggests). Got this plant as a 1 gal, and before I knew it, I had a huge patch of plant that would easily fill a 15gal pot back up... oops. Not sure I would actually label it as invasive, but it grows very well, and if not grown in full sun (or perhaps it would do this anyway), it can get tall and wispy, and start 'draping' itself over surrounding vegetation and objects. Mine is grown in mostly sun, but a wall keeps sun off it some of the winter, and it's really leggy. I am having to surround it with rocks to keep it from falling and spreading... not a horribly attractive plant, either, but a prolific flower pro... read more