Jicama, Mexican Yam, Mexican Potato, Yambean, Mexican Turnip
Pachyrhizus erosus

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pachyrhizus (pak-ee-RY-zus) (Info)
Species: erosus (e-ROH-sus) (Info)

Vegetables

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Blue-Violet

Honolulu, Hawaii

Hulbert, Oklahoma

negative

On May 16, 2008, mcjd34 from Goshen, IN wrote:

When I lived in E TN I grew jicama one year. My soil was poor, and, since I had the understanding that jicama was a legume closely related to kudzu (a terrible pest where I was), I didn't use anything but compost for it. I grew it from seed, which is the only way I am aware of. The comments already given (grows very fast, somewhat fuzzy green leaves, bloom color and time) coincide with my experience. The looks of the tuber, and the taste do too. I am now in northwest Indiana, and one of the big markets frequently has jicama, which I enjoy eating!

On Oct 6, 2004, tom_mazatlan from Mazatlan, Sinaloa
Mexico (Zone 11) wrote:

This is the commercial type of Jicama grown for market. The true Mexican Jicama belongs to the Morning Glory family. I use this as a screen plant on a fence. It is a rapid grower and in two months has covered thirty feet in one direction. It has covered the entire fence top to bottom.

On Jul 26, 2004, Indigoez from Floresville, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I tried growing one of these a few years back from a tuber I bought at the grocery store, and had no luck at all with it. The tuber just sat there in the pot until it finally rotted. Sigh...

On Jul 26, 2004, ButterflyMom21 from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a very tasty tuber!! Very easy to find along the Texas-Mexico border, although I have not tried growing these myself. Have a sweet taste to them, with the texture similar to that of coconut (when eaten raw). In recent years, I have noticed them available in local produce stores here in San Antonio.