Climber, Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Westerland'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Westerland
Additional cultivar information:(aka KORlawe, KORwest, Climbing Westerland)
Hybridized by Kordes
Registered or introduced: 1969

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Modern Climber

Shrub

Apricot and apricot blend (ab)

Bloom Shape:

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Lynnwood, Washington

Black Earth, Wisconsin

Florence, Wisconsin

On May 31, 2013, salmon1a from Florence, WI wrote:

I grow this rose in one 4A where it experiences 70-90% dieback without protection. It rebounds nicely and rewards with me with bright orange, fruity smelling blooms. It tends to shutdown in late August. In years where I've covered it, I've managed to save up to 100% of the canes.

On Jul 22, 2011, KayGrow from Montgomery, AL wrote:

Very disease resistant,drought tolerant, and shade tolerant. Fantastic spring flush and fragrance. Because I neglect it so, it doesn't bloom much for me after that. The only negative is the vicious thorns. Otherwise, it is a super rose. I have it climbing in a semi-shaded, very dry spot at the back of my lot in south Alabama.

On Jun 8, 2010, kentstar from Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

What a rose! She screams at you to look at her that's for sure! Westerland is VERY fragrant and a bright coral/orange color for me. She's very disease resistant and is quite a vigorous grower. I planted her as an ownroot last year and she is already about 6 ft tall!
Great rose, especially if you want fragrance and attention!

On Mar 5, 2010, Caedi25 from Kirkland, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Our Westerland climber spent its first few months at the foot of our bench trellis contemplating its new Zone 8b home. Trying to decide whether to play in our rose arc or not? Then it took off. Abundant blooms in that oh-so-appealing orange, nice hearty canes, healthy, glossy leaves. Worth the white-knuckle wait!

On Dec 14, 2008, muddypawz from Spotsylvania, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grew Climbing Westerland in Zion, IL, a town halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee, a couple of miles from Lake Michigan. It gets very cold there - I believe it's Zone 5a, but the lake effect snow keeps it cooler and snowbound.

The Rose grew with an eastern exposure, and it grew magnificently, with blooms around June 20th like clockwork, and a less profuse flowering in Fall. The blooms continued almost until frost.

I purchased the rose as a bareroot, and by the end of the season, had a couple of strong shoots. It really took off the following year, and by the year 3, I had enough canes to justify building a trellis. Highly recommended rose cultivar.

I have since moved, and I am in Spotslvania, VA (Zone 7a/b; Zip 22553). I plan on growing i... read more

On Aug 1, 2008, lrwells50 from (Lynn) Paris, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

My Westerland bloomed it's first year, and put on a lot of canes. This year it has lots of 6' - 8' canes, and many flowers. I have it on a tall pillar in front of a fence, and I think I will train some of the canes on the fence as well.

On Jan 27, 2008, mysterypoodle from Toddville, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Westerland really took off the first year it was planted and sported canes of 7'-8' on a trellis in companionship with a Ken Dobson clematis. The rose bloomed a lot, the clematis not so much! This is definitely a zone 4b microclimate and faces east, with no southern or western exposure at all. I was very pleased with the rose.

On Jun 28, 2005, Zylphey from Fayette County, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a wonderful, strong, disease-resistant rose. There is a sport available also, "Autumn Sunset", which has yellow blooms.

On Jun 12, 2005, teatimer from Lavrica
Slovenia (Zone 7a) wrote:

Westerland has been our first venture into rose gardening two years ago. It's abundant, scented, healthy - we're still in love with it today. (Lavrica, Slovenia, Europe, climatic zone 6.)

On Jul 7, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in Germany. Won the ADR Anerkannte Deutsche Rose award in 1974, the Award of Garden Merit in 1993, and the Modern Shrub Rose award twice in 2001.

Parentage: