Rainbow Shower Tree
Cassia x nealiae

Family: Caesalpiniaceae (ses-al-pin-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cassia (KASS-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: x nealiae (NEE-lee-ay) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Honomu, Hawaii

Kailua, Hawaii

Kihei, Hawaii

On Jun 12, 2014, Florwaii from Hickam Housing, HI wrote:

The Rainbow Shower Tree (Cassia x nealiae) is a hybrid tree making the tree sterile. This tree will not produce seed pods. Beautiful flowering tree!
Propagate by air layering. Use at least 1" branches for best results.
The Golden Shower Tree (C. fastula) will produce seed pods 1/2-1" in diameter and 14-27" long. Seeds inside pod are watermelon seed shaped, 3x-4x larger and tan in color.
There are yellow shower and pink shower trees (C. javanica) and possibly a white. I have never seen a white variety.
Difference in Gold and Yellow....
Gold is dark, bright gold/yellow color flowers. No white color
Yellow is light yellow with white tip flowers.

On Aug 10, 2010, jsky from Waianae, HI wrote:

I live in Ft. Lauderdale, and the tree has done well, but due to the fact that we get so much rain the blooming is not sensational. I also live in Honolulu, HI where the rainbow cassia is the city/county of Honolulu tree. On my land it blooms incredibly well, but amount of rain is much less than in Ft. Lauderdale. You won't believe it, but the people leasing the house next door to mine just cut down a 10 year old rainbow cassia back in Ft. Lauderdale.

On Jun 13, 2010, Redtide from Miami, FL wrote:

Ok i need help,
I have had my Rainbow Shower Tree (Cassia x nealiae)
for the last 6 years after seeing them in full bloom in
Hawaii, i had to have it . It's approx. 30 feet tall by 25 feet across, BEAUTIFUL tree. It started blooming last year for the first time. Here is the problem, it blooms only in one top branch . I have seem more flowers in my Lotus pond than on my Cassia. the flowers are really stricking, starting off a rich pink and fading to a yellow, then white by the end of the season .The flower color is much brighter than the one at the Entrance of Fairchild Botanical Gardens here in Miami, if anyone is familiar with it (peach ish color). Fairchilds' is in full bloom as i write this commont ,from the very top to the base branches. Should i hit it with m... read more

On Oct 21, 2007, lauraroxie from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

This is the most attractive tree I've ever seen. A local nursery (9B) has a 6 year old specimen that is about 30 feet tall. They report extremely long bloom periods of about 5 months.

The notes for this tree have it blooming spring. early summer, but in St. Petersburg, Fl this tree is a long and late bloomer reaching peak in august and continuing through October. Blooms do start as early as May.

2008--Exciting update. We experienced a freeze here in December with reports of temperatures as low as 26. I went and checked on my favorite cassia at the nursery--not a single leaf had fallen and the tree showed no damage at all in with temps in the high 20s.

July--2009. After 2 years of searching, i finally found one of these for sale. As a 6 foot r... read more

On Jul 14, 2006, crowleyplants from Sarasota, FL wrote:

I live east of Sarasota, this year the temp was about 25degrees and my cassia roxburghii is blooming right now in July.. It is beautiful and weeping in colors of yellow, orange, red, like a rainbow...kathy crowley

On Jul 9, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

Quite a few, still quite young, planted lining both sides of a couple of block-long sections of Kamehameha Ave. in Hilo. I can just imagine how beautiful they will be when all in bloom as they get larger.

On Jul 8, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

this is my all-time favorite tree. As a young child our neighbor had a tree and my sister and I would take turns standing under a branch while the other shook it to make the petals rain down. The neighbor gave my mother a rooted cutting that made a lovely shade tree in a corner of her yard. Last year I removed a kukui that was much to large for my property and within a week planted my own "rainbow". Only a spindley 6' when planted, the branches have grown 3'-4' in 7 mos. Unfortunately it did not bloom this year (I HOPE it's a rainbow!). The rainbow shower tree is a hybrid originally produced in Hawaii from the javanica (pink & white) and fistula (golden).