Forest Lily, Sand Onion (sandui), Winter Red Hot Poker
Veltheimia bracteata

Family: Hyacinthaceae
Genus: Veltheimia (velt-HIME-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: bracteata (brak-tee-AY-tuh) (Info)

Bulbs

Pale Pink

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

From leaf cuttings

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Brentwood, California

Los Angeles, California (2 reports)

Mckinleyville, California

Clinton, Mississippi

Chillicothe, Ohio

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

On Mar 6, 2014, Botanist101 from Clinton, MS wrote:

I am zone 8 and have not tried Veltheimia outdoors. However, I have experience growing this bulb in the greenhouse. Rule 1. Water when growing and allow soil to dry between waterings else you risk rot. Rule 2. Allow most of the bulb (2/3rds to 3/4ths) to be above the soil surface else they will rot if watered too much. Doing this reduces the chances of rot. Rule 3. NEVER ever water during its dormant phase which is a good portion of the year. At the first signs of green growth after the dormant period, then start to gradually water.

I killed my first 2 bulbs not following these rules. Now I have 4 and several side bulblets developing. I get a nice crop of blooms this time of the year. This is a must have for a collector.

Thanks,
Brian
... read more

On Jul 15, 2013, santa_barbarian from Santa Barbara, CA wrote:

Effortless riparian beauty. This is one of the most amazing plants in my garden. I have it planted under oak trees in Santa Barbara and it thrives with only the rain we get in the winter---no other water. The winter blooms hang on till almost June, then the plant begins its decent to almost nothing, then resprouts in the fall to begin again. With a little effort, I can divide in the fall and replant in dappled shade.

On Feb 16, 2012, cinemike from CREZIERES
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

I think this plant its hardier than generally thought. I have two pots of 6-month-old seedlings in my unheated greenhouse and they survived through two weeks of outside temperatures below -15C. The compost in the pots was totally frozen but no sign of either foliage or bulb damage.
Definitely worth a trial in zone 8 and maybe below.