Cucumber 'County Fair'

Cucumis sativus

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: sativus (sa-TEE-vus) (Info)
Cultivar: County Fair

Westborough, Massachusetts

Boonville, Missouri

Asheville, North Carolina

On Aug 11, 2012, jserena from Woodfin, NC wrote:

I garden organically in Asheville, NC. I planted County Fair cucumbers for the first time this year, 2012, a wet summer in the North Carolina mountains, the nationwide drought notwithstanding. The seeds were purchased from garden-diva on eBay, a fast and reliable seller. Started indoors, near 100 percent germination, set out on April 29. Very vigorous plants, with harvest beginning on June 2. Cucumber beetles showed up in late June, unusually early in my experience here, and had heavily infested the plants by the second week in July. Each plant produced on average about 10 to 14 cucumbers per week from mid June through early August, which I typically picked at about 5 to 6 inches in length. A very good pickler but a mediocre slicer; in my opinion, not in the same class as Diva as a slicin... read more

On Jul 31, 2012, mamajenny from Westborough, MA wrote:

This cucumber is putting any prolific squash plant I've grown to shame. It is resistant to everything, I have cucumber beetles attacking tomatillo plants 1 foot away with no interest in the cucumbers. This cucumber is a beast & will always have a home in my garden!

On Feb 24, 2007, greenbrain from Madison, IL (Zone 6b) wrote:

If it wasn't for this variety, I wouldn't be able to harvest any cucumbers because of a severe spotted cucumber beetle problem in this area. It's the only variety that I've found resistant to bacterial wilt. I've grown it 2004-2006 vertically & put up several quarts of pickles & relish from a 5 foot row. Only other variety that did as well was Gurney's burpless pickler.

On Jul 9, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Released by Wisconsin-USDA in 1978. A predominantly gynoecious pickling hybrid, parthenocarpic. Hyped as the best home garden pickler. It has resistance to downy mildew, powdery mildew, scab,and cucumber mosaic virus, with moderate resistance to anthracnose.