Star of Bethlehem, Madam Fate, Star Flower
Hippobroma longiflora

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hippobroma (hip-OH-bro-muh) (Info)
Species: longiflora (lon-jee-FLO-ruh) (Info)
Synonym:Isotoma longiflora

Randolph, Massachusetts

Hastings, Nebraska

positive

On May 4, 2010, cqackles from Randolph, MA wrote:

This plant/weed started growing in our back yard but I don't see it in anyone else's yard. It puzzles me as it came out of no where about 4 years ago! While I find that the flower is cute it is an unwanted plant that grows in patches throughout our lawn. I have been diligently pulling up the clusters carefully so as to get the bulb as well. Is there any other way to rid these weeds? Please help!!!

On Apr 3, 2010, joneski from Hastings, NE wrote:

Very invasive. Pretty soon it will cover my neighborhood, not just my large yard. Last year I was obsessed (literally) with digging them up, drying them out and getting them as far away as possible. They apparantly became angry because they are now everywhere, in places they could not just spread to but had to jump concrete. They are growing in the bricks! Please tell me what to do, other than sell my house.

On Nov 7, 2007, tlb654 from Arnold, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Blooms first or second week of May for 8 to 10 days. Pretty flower.

On Jul 11, 2004, dwaynet from Los Baņos
Philippines wrote:

The juice of all parts of the plant can irritate the eyes and produce a burning sensation in the mouth and throat. The milky sap is very poisonous.