PlantFiles: Scabious Flowered Zinnia
Zinnia elegans 'Scabiosaflora Mix'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zinnia (ZIN-ya) (Info)
Species: elegans (ELL-eh-ganz) (Info)
Cultivar: Scabiosaflora Mix

Gold (Yellow-Orange)
Pale Yellow
Violet/Lavender
Purple

Flowers are good for cutting

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Thumbnail #1 of Zinnia elegans by tyke

Thumbnail #2 of Zinnia elegans by tyke

Thumbnail #3 of Zinnia elegans by tyke

Thumbnail #4 of Zinnia elegans by oceangirl

Thumbnail #5 of Zinnia elegans by oceangirl

Thumbnail #6 of Zinnia elegans by oceangirl

Positive BajaBlue On Feb 19, 2010, BajaBlue from Rancho Santa Rita, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have personally grown these in the past and had them reach a
height as tall as I am and I am 5ft 2 in tall

I always direct sow my annuals after danger of frost is over, so I did with these and they did bloom as scabious flowers their first season. For the next two years they self seeded and came back still scabious flowered. But by the fourth season they were mostly singles.

I have just ordered some fresh seed from Thompson & Morgan. Looking forward to having them back in the family. Bees n butterflies love them !!

Neutral Cybrczch On Jul 9, 2006, Cybrczch from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

Purchased seed in 2005. Started indoors like I did all my other zinnias, before I read the note on the package that said that they should be direct sown to maximize the percentage of pincushion blooms (interestingly enough, their web site has no mention of this, and includes directions for starting indoors).
They grew well, but the flowers were all single - none of the blooms were pincushion-y. And they stayed that way all year until frost.
Purchased a second package of seed this year (2006) . This time, I planted them direct seeded into my flower bed. They've just started blooming, and most of them are still single, but one plant has bloomed out the pincushion flowers. They aren't very large flowers (about 1 1/2 inches across), but hoping more of the plants will bloom out.

Neutral dmj1218 On May 4, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Unique flowers look like mums with a pincushion-like center surrounded by a ray of bright petals. 2-3" blooms.

Positive sevensup On Jul 25, 2005, sevensup from Ocala, FL wrote:

I live in central Florida although called "annuals" their are seeds at the end of each flower petal, just pluck off and dry and plant again. Every year when I cultivate the earth in all of my beautiful gardens after danger of frost has passed, they are the first to pop up to let me know it is spring. Giants and dwarfs all colors and species. when the flowers or seeds drop they reseed themselves. Love these beauties.

Ocala, Florida