PlantFiles: Echinopsis Hybrid
Echinopsis 'Los Angeles'

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinopsis (ek-in-OP-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Los Angeles
Additional cultivar information: (aka L. A.)
Hybridized by Johnson

Cactus and Succulents

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Pale Pink

Succulent

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

By KactusKathi

Thumbnail #5 of Echinopsis  by cacti_lover

Thumbnail #6 of Echinopsis  by cacti_lover

By RWhiz
Thumbnail #7 of Echinopsis  by RWhiz

Positive Dragonflys4me On May 6, 2014, Dragonflys4me from (Chris) Ankeny, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Here in Iowa, DH and I grow it as a container plant. During the summer, it's outside in full sun - but once the temps start going down in late Oct/early Nov, we put the containers in the basement near the window and don't water it all winter long. It blooms every summer for us, so it must like how we're doing it! But now they need to be transplanted - should be interesting!

Positive princesswarrior On Nov 16, 2009, princesswarrior from Port Charlotte, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a beautiful cactus that flowers for me on a continual basis here in sunny florida. A gift from my Grandfather who brought it to me from Germany, it has grown consistently and currently is potted in an old whiskey barrel which it fills to capacity. You can re-root this by taking small pieces off and planting them in another pot to share with friends. I have had success using a well draining soil mixed with sand. My flowers are a beautiful pink and I have had as many as 62 blooms flowering at one time.

Positive cacti_lover On Jan 3, 2005, cacti_lover from Henderson, NV (Zone 9b) wrote:

I heard from a sourse that this hybrid was created by Harry Johnson in Paramount, California. The flowers are light pink and can be up to 3" across. Usually, the more flowers the plant produces, the smaller they tend to be. The plant I have had nine flowers at one time, but each was only 2" across. The flowers are pleasently scented in the morning and typically last a day. This plant can be more than a foot tall. Mine was around a foot when I took the pictures. It can bloom when it is around 3" tall. To propagate, cut out the pups, if it has any, let the cut dry for a few days, then plant it in cactus soil mix. Very easy to grow.

Positive Xenomorf On Jul 26, 2004, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

The blooms are lilac. Introduced by Harry Johnson - A Paramount hybrid.

Chandler, Arizona (2 reports)
Mesa, Arizona