Early, Large-flowered Clematis 'Silver Moon'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Silver Moon
Hybridized by Picton
Registered or introduced: circa 1971
» View all varieties of Clematis

Flower Fragrance:

Bloom Shape:

Bloom Diameter:

Large - 5 to 8 inches (12 to 20 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Pembroke, Massachusetts

Trenton, Michigan

Campbell Hall, New York

On Jul 23, 2010, tracey8165 from Pembroke, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought this clematis because it is supposed to do well in the shade. It does. I've had it four years and it has bloomed for me every year but one. It is in part shade. It gets morning and very late afternoon shade, but midafternoon sun. This year it bloomed so abundantly it was dropping jaws (of admiring viewers). I think this is because we had a very wet spring. It likes to be watered and fed.

The only negative aspect of this plant is that it's petals are so delicate, that as soon as we get the first few hard rains in June all the petals are gone. The literature on this plant said it would bloom all summer, but because of its delicate nature, I've ever only had it for the month of June. By July all its petals are gone and it does not form any more buds.

But... read more

On Jun 7, 2008, irishbelle from Orange County, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Silver Moon is perfect for light shade. I have it growing in a shade bed which receives filtered morning light and afternoon shade. She performs beautifully under these conditions. Very vigorous grower. In Zone5/6, Hudson Valley, NY, bloom time begins late May/early June.

On Nov 14, 2005, Sally_Denver from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted a slip of this clematis 2 full years ago under a wisteria pergola, with a rebar sculpture for it to climb. I planted Geranium 'Biokovo' around the roots to keep it cool, and that almost smothered it. I chose this variety because it can bloom in the shade. With our very prolonged, gentle fall, I was surprised a few days ago by this beauty perching right in the rebar spiral. Next year, flowers should be larger.

I have since looked this up and learned it is a group 2 (or B) clematis that requires only light pruning to shape in Spring. Large flowers open in Spring on old wood, then smaller flowers bloom on new wood later.