Blue Fountain Bamboo, Hardy Blue Bamboo

Fargesia nitida

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fargesia (far-GHEE-zee-uh) (Info)
Species: nitida (NI-ti-duh) (Info)
Synonym:Arundinaria nitida

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Provides winter interest

This plant is resistant to deer

Upland, California

American Fork, Utah

Ridgefield, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On Jan 21, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

I have done gardening in the yard of my biggest customer in southeast Pennsylvania in USDA Zone 6b for ten years now, and she has a good specimen in part-shade that has been a big clump, spreading very little, all this time with no problems. I even dug up a section of the plant up and planted it in a big pot for her back deck and it is also doing well. If anyone wants a temperate species bamboo, this one is pretty and it is good and stays basically neat and clean. It usually gets to about 10 to 15 ft high in landscapes. It is cold hardy to USDA Zone 5a according to a few sources. It does need moist soil, not liking drought, and it is good to keep it out of strong winds. Part-shade will keep it from growing as thick as in full sun, as I have seen photos of thick specimens growing too thickl... read more

On Jun 6, 2012, Hikaro_Takayama from Fayetteville, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I don't know why the Plant Files have this listed as only hardy to Zone 7b, since I've had it in the ground here in Greencastle, PA since 2005 with absolutely no protection (other than a hardware cloth fence around it to keep the local rabbits from eating it to death during the winter) and it sails through with no problems, despite all but last winter having temps get below 0 degrees Fahrenheit at least once per winter (even then it got down to something like 5 degrees one night).

The bamboo DOES look a bit raggedy by the end of February, but once temperatures warm up a bit, it greens right up again. Lovely and non-spreading, too! I'm definitely taking this one with me when I move.

On Jul 18, 2004, KMAC from Co. Cork
Ireland (Zone 9a) wrote:

An elegant Bamboo with small leaves and dark purple green canes.