Passionfruit, Granadilla, Qarandila, Maracuja, Passion Vine, Passionvine
Passiflora edulis 'Frederick'

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Species: edulis (ED-yew-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Frederick
Hybridized by Patrick Worley

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Purple

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Casa Grande, Arizona

Hawthorne, California

Hemet, California

Lafayette, California

Los Angeles, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Mulberry, Florida

Ocoee, Florida

Floresville, Texas

On Jan 19, 2014, tallaway from Crescent City, CA wrote:

I have this 10 year old plant growing on a south-facing wall in Hiouchi, CA (a few miles inland from Crescent City, CA). It doesn't grow as rambunctiously as others have mentioned, but it is still covered in late maturing (and tasty!) fruits every year, usually in November or December.

On Aug 19, 2005, eengland from San Diego & San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

*Very* active, *very* vigourous climber. Will go into trees if allowed to do so. Works very well for me in full shade. Sets fruits easily, flowers are pretty OK looking for passiflora and leaves are lush, palmate and beautiful.

The neighbours in back do not like it because it is so vigourous that it is starting to form a division between them (apartments) and my house such that they can no longer see into my yard/windows. Which, admittedly, was the point of the vine in the first place.

Flowers and vine itself seem to me to be more robust than regular P. edulis. However, this may be because the Frederick is in the ground and the unnamed one is in a pot.

We nerve grew this at the nursery but I CAN vouch for 92116 and say it does REAALLY we... read more

On Aug 13, 2004, sonotaps from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I have 'Freddie' planted on an east wall in my Phoenix yard. I built a well draining raised bed for it. It grows really fast and seems to be OK even though we get really hot here. Naturally, I water to keep it looking its best. Monsoon season really helps and it grows even faster with the moisture in the air.

I've got some very minor burning on a few leaves but as long as you water often in the desert summer it is fine. Nice and green and growing.

I've had it five months. I'm going to cut watering back in the fall when we cool off to 'stress it' into flowering and hopefully fruit.