PlantFiles: Chinese Holly, Horned Holly
Ilex cornuta 'Burfordii Nana'

Family: Aquifoliaceae (a-kwee-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ilex (EYE-leks) (Info)
Species: cornuta (kor-NOO-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Burfordii Nana

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Provides winter interest

By MotherNature4
Thumbnail #1 of Ilex cornuta by MotherNature4

By berrygirl
Thumbnail #2 of Ilex cornuta by berrygirl

Negative shewhoplants On Apr 21, 2013, shewhoplants from Tifton, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I purchased 2 of these plants from Lowes 3yrs ago. Till this day I have not seen one berry. I then purchased 6, from Lowes, 2 years ago. Not seen any berries on these. They were full of berries when I purchased them. What is wrong. They are in part sun. Do Buford Hollies need a male plant to make berries. I have heard they do not. Does someone in this cyber world know and can help me?

Neutral Fires_in_motion On Jan 21, 2013, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Yes, it's a pretty, essentially unkillable shrub. It would probably survive a nuclear attack, in fact. But my comment is about the size of it. My next-door neighbor planted a fence of this plant around his backyard decades ago, and now each plant is around 8 feet high and wide, making an impenetrable mass. And it's only that small because he goes out there with a chainsaw several times a year to massacre them. (Yes, he specified to me that they are the dwarf form, not the regular Burford.) Without all his trimming, each tree would easily be 15 feet tall. The bases are very wide, about the width of a football.

You can see a photo of part of the exact hedge I'm talking about in the background of this photo I took of my Olea europaea 'Arbequina': http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/314588

Positive Southernbell421 On Mar 2, 2012, Southernbell421 from Ocala, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a nice shrub. Just watch the leaves as they are pointed.
It takes a cutting real well and just general watering is fine with this shrub. It's leaves give a good color and in the winter it puts out alot of showy red berries (non eatable!).

Positive greenbud On Jul 13, 2006, greenbud from Houston, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Excellent foundation shrub. Mine is limbed up like a tiny tree. Very compact foliage, very shiny leaves. Drought tolerant.

Positive berrygirl On Jan 9, 2006, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I will ditto everything mothernature said about this plant. So far it has been absolutely care-free for me. I really don't have to keep it pruned, but I have 1 on each side of my garage and one seems to be growing faster than the other. I top prune to get them to look even. Other than rainfall, it gets no supplemental watering at all. Our dry hot summers don't seem to faze it.
I will say that in the spring they are covered with sweet-smelling blooms and these attract tons of bees- of which I am allergic to.

Positive MotherNature4 On Dec 13, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This dwarf cultivar has slightly twisted, dark green leaves that look as though they have been polished. It is very compact compared to the species.

It is hardy, evergreen and produces many berries. One of my favorite landscape plants.

Gaylesville, Alabama
Allen, Texas
Cedar Park, Texas
Garland, Texas
Murchison, Texas
Richardson, Texas (2 reports)
Spring, Texas