PlantFiles: Shredded Umbrella Plant
Syneilesis aconitifolia

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Syneilesis (sin-eel-ES-is) (Info)
Species: aconitifolia (a-kon-eye-tih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Senecio aconitifolia

Partial to Full Shade

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Thumbnail #1 of Syneilesis aconitifolia by irmaly

Thumbnail #6 of Syneilesis aconitifolia by irmaly

By Weerobin
Thumbnail #7 of Syneilesis aconitifolia by Weerobin

Positive gregr18 On Aug 25, 2012, gregr18 from Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

One of the best dry shade plants that I know of. Carefully examine the seed that it sets because many of the seeds will not have embryos. Bees are attracted to the flowers, but perhaps pollination is often unsuccessful with this plant? I don't know, but it does spread moderately, faster if kept moist.

Positive Groundwork94 On Sep 1, 2011, Groundwork94 from Oakton, VA wrote:

I have been growing this plant (NoVA) for probably 6 years. It has spread slowly- does exactly what we would expect. It is in mixed shade (not dense). I have not gotten ignition on seeds placed down in the area as yet - only trying two years. We'll see. It defintitely pays it way in interest - and low maintenance.

Positive lisaslists2000 On Jul 9, 2010, lisaslists2000 from Charlotte, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this plant, and have found it very easy to grow. Very tolerant of dry shade, which is a hard area to find plants for. The house where I have it planted is rented now, but it was great for the 3 years I lived there after planting it.

Positive lastwest On Mar 2, 2009, lastwest from Bluffton

I grew this plant from seed 3 years ago, and it is surviving winter so far. (I live in Bluffton, Alberta, Canada.) Zone 2. Last year, it set large amounts of seed; but so far nothing has germinated even with prolonged cold stratification. Maybe the seed needs a longer season to ripen??? In any case, my plants always create lots of comments from visitors to my gardens. Has anyone tried to divide it?

Neutral Larayne66 On Apr 27, 2008, Larayne66 from Immingham, Near Grimsby UK
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

We have this plant as a houseplant, which my partner's previous lady had before she died. It has never been repotted so I am going to put it in a larger pot with some plant food. He tells me the plant has never flowered so I am hoping that with a bigger pot and fresh compost things will improve for it this year.

Lorraine
(Lorelei65)

Neutral vossner On Apr 12, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

In an attempt to push the zone envelope, I bought this plant some years back. It didn't last 1 month in z9a planted inground, in shady and moist area.

Positive rcn48 On Feb 14, 2006, rcn48 from Lexington, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

A unique plant for the shade garden. Foliage emerging in spring covered with white fuzzy hairs which tend to almost disappear by mid summer. Similar in habit to native Mayapple, however the flowers are held above the foliage versus Mayapple's flowers beneath the foliage. Grown primarily for the foliage as the flowers are small white, aster-like and not particular showy.

Positive irmaly On Jun 7, 2005, irmaly from boone, NC (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is an outstanding plant, especially for difficult woodland spots. It is excellent foliage. I bought mine at Plant Delights Nursery in Raleigh, NC.

Calistoga, California
Lexington, Virginia
Oakton, Virginia
Marysville, Washington
Ridgefield, Washington
Vancouver, Washington (2 reports)