PlantFiles: Appleblossom Grass
Gaura lindheimeri 'Pink Fountain'

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gaura (GOW-ra) (Info)
Species: lindheimeri (lind-HY-mer-ee) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink Fountain
Additional cultivar information: (PP15555; aka Walgaupf)
Hybridized by Tristram; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2003

By kimmy222
Thumbnail #5 of Gaura lindheimeri by kimmy222

By vutley
Thumbnail #6 of Gaura lindheimeri by vutley

Positive klassylady25 On Oct 7, 2010, klassylady25 from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

For the longest time I didn't know what these plants were. I purchased them on the mystery table at Ace Hardware, in other words, the tag had been long lost.

They were pretty and suited my needs. I am recreating a rustic look in my home and yard. These are hardy, pretty and give the corner of my garden that old home look.

Neutral suewylan On Oct 1, 2010, suewylan from North Fork, CA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant has a long tap root, so if you move it make sure you dig deep. I cut the root off by mistake and part of the plant is still growing. Tough plant. Nice in groups with grasses for a meadow look.

Positive jennP On May 15, 2010, jennP from Richmond, VA wrote:

I LOVE the way this plant looks, the new growth is a great maroon-red color. The flowers grow on long stems and bob in the breeze. I have it planted against verbena with dark purple and the flowers really show.
I will say that I have difficulty getting all of the plants to come back each year. This year 2 out of 3 were coming back but one got damaged by landscapers, so I bought additional ones to plant. Got a few extras to plant elsewhere in the yard.
Low maintenance once they are planted, not sure how well they survive the winters overall.
They're so pretty I don't mind replanting them if I need to, but I am increasing the mix of the soil to increase drainage to see if that helps them come back.

Positive vutley On Apr 10, 2008, vutley from Upper Sandusky, OH wrote:

Northwest Ohio
I love this plant!! It stand up to extreme wind and heat and blooms ALL summer. I have it planted in and around an old steel wagon wheel and it works perfect in this spot. I love how it blows in the wind. It is a delicate, airy and feathery looking plant that has no match. I only purchased one plant last year to try out and I am going to buy more this year.
I did not cut off for the winter because it was still blooming after others plants were done. It was a wonderful display in the snow and an ice storm made it worthy of pictures.
It is tall and wild but that is what I like about this plant.

Negative kimmy222 On Jul 20, 2007, kimmy222 from Reading, PA wrote:

Overall, I am not that impressed with this plant. Although the flowers are pretty up close, it is by no means a showstopper. The foliage is compact (about 1 foot across), but the long, floppy stems span approximately four feet wide. Despite the butterfly-shaped flowers, butterflies do not visit this plants. I tried to deadhead it to keep the stems shorter and more compact, but they grow to about 2 feet quickly and flop when the flowers open. One positive aspect of this plant is that the flowers do hold up to wind and rain very well. Overall, I am disappointed with the floppiness and ranginess of this plant.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 21, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

GAURA Pink Fountain - Medium 24". A compact selection with a massive display of soft pink flowers through the summer.

General Information:
Vase shaped plant that blooms from late spring until fall. Flowers all along the stands of erect crowded stems. Will thrive in high heat and humdity areas. Very nice, all will need winter protection in far northern states.

Plant Care:
Very tolerant of heat and drought. Needs good winter drainage. Very airy habit responds to cutting back by one half when 12-15 inches tall to control height. Deep tap root dislikes transplanting. Allow some self-sowing if desired.

Mobile, Alabama