Ceylon Cinnamon Tree

Cinnamomum verum

Family: Lauraceae (law-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cinnamomum (sin-uh-MOH-mum) (Info)
Species: verum (VER-um) (Info)
Synonym:Cinnamomum zeylanicum

Mulberry, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Harvey, Louisiana

On Dec 1, 2012, Frannyo from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

One around the corner is doing well in a pot, in dappled shade, well established. Used the same soil mix and a little more sun, and the leaves have been yellow for a year, with no new growth. Fertilizing with compost to see if we can turn it around.

On Aug 7, 2011, kungfoochimp from Wailuku, HI (Zone 12a) wrote:

Somewhat picky. I had a 3-4' tall sapling in a semi-shade spot. Watering was generous, but soil very well draining. Died quickly. In retrospect I would have given it more sun. I've read that they do not respond well to re-potting/being moved.

On Aug 7, 2006, oceanmystic from San Diego, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I purchased seed from tradewind fruit. The germination notes say keep soil above 75F for best results. I placed the seeds 3/4" deep In organic potting soil with high proportion of perlite and bottom heat. I have tested the temperature periodically with a probe and the samples were from 72F up to 88F. I have one sprout after five weeks.
The sprout is vigorous and happy. I assume the remaining seeds have lost viability

On Jul 30, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

The bark of this tree has a very strong cinnamon scent, and is one of the most commercialized kinds of cinnamon over here.

On Jul 21, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Attractive smallish tree with shiny, light green leaves... new leaves pale to pinkish. Trunk smooth and whitish. Bark cinnamon flavored and also used for a variety of medicinal purposes. Leaves also have some medicinal oil qualities. Not sure about hardiness, but does well in zone 10a