PlantFiles: Chinese Evergreen, Philippine Evergreen
Aglaonema commutatum

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Aglaonema (ag-lay-oh-NEE-muh) (Info)
Species: commutatum (kom-yoo-TAH-tum) (Info)

Not Applicable

Partial to Full Shade

Inconspicuous/none

Mottled

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By Xenomorf

Thumbnail #6 of Aglaonema commutatum by atm1

By atm1
Thumbnail #7 of Aglaonema commutatum by atm1

Positive 4barkingdogs On Apr 22, 2014, 4barkingdogs from Seattle, WA wrote:

I received this plant in 1962, from my SECOND GRADE teacher in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I am now 60 years old, and the plant has travelled with me to Seattle via Wichita, and even to college in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. Along the way, I have propagated starts, and given them to special friends. I always guarantee that they can not kill this plant, because I truly believe this! I have grown this plant in sunny windows, and darkened rooms. I never take off the flowers, and I water it, "when I remember". It seems I have been doing everything "wrong", but that's alright!
I have no idea how my teacher came by this plant, but she placed it on the classroom window sill, and she drew my name at the end of the year, and gave me the plant. I felt very special...like winning the lottery.

Positive pmccli On Aug 26, 2012, pmccli from Collinsville, IL wrote:

Picked one up on sale at Home Depot. It has been growing well indoors with filtered eastern light and low humidity (A/C).

Neutral atm1 On Nov 17, 2009, atm1 from Detroit, MI wrote:

I got four blooms on mine over the summer. Didn't turn into fruit though; after about six weeks they just shrivelled up. I just plucked the last one off Sunday. I read on other sites to remove the blooms immediately, but I didn't. The new leaves don't appear to be compromised. Growing in a tight pot, don't water much, but mist often.

Positive Sparrowgirl On Jul 11, 2009, Sparrowgirl from Stormville, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have five - four variegated cultivars, including a miniature one, and an all-green species plant. The only special consideration I've noticed is that they prefer a small pot - they like being a little bit rootbound. My green species one wasn't doing well until I potted it down one size, then it took off and started thriving.

Positive Jemesaurai On Jun 16, 2008, Jemesaurai from New York, NY wrote:

The plant throws greenish-white spath-like flowers about twice a year. Flowers are followed by fleshy oval shaped fruit. The fruit start out green changing to yellow or orange and finally bright red. Fruit can be removed from the plant when red and plump. New plants can be started in damp peat moss or sand in a zip-lock bag.

Positive canadianplant On May 28, 2007, canadianplant from thunder bay
Canada (Zone 4b) wrote:

This plant was here when i moved in. Nice colour looks old and it just started to flower. IT seems to like the bottom of my south window.

Neutral vossner On Sep 13, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

has done very poorly as an indoor plant. I will transplant outside and report here later.

Positive sherinaflowers On Apr 16, 2006, sherinaflowers from Kerrville, TX wrote:

I do not have a green thumb whatsoever, but I have this plant hanging in my bathroom in a corner. It seems to me like he loves the humidity of the bathroom because he looks fabulous!

Positive jnana On Aug 8, 2005, jnana from South Florida, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

This plant was kept inside, but with the low humidity caused by the constant use of A/C for most of the year it declined rapidly. It was transplanted outside under some palms and has done very well. During the winter when our temperatures drop below 60 it tends to drop leaves fairly rapid. It recovers quickly once spring arrives.

Neutral saya On Jun 21, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

The plant contains Aroin, Aronin, Aroidin, Arin, Saponine and some Prussic accid. The sap can cause severe irritation of the skin and at mucous membranes. The fresh parts of the plants are 'nt that poisonous as Dieffenbachia but have nearly the same effects.

Neutral salvia_lover On Jan 10, 2005, salvia_lover from Modi'in
Israel wrote:

requires a minimum temperature of 55F

Neutral Xenomorf On Jul 22, 2004, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

If anyone knows which cultivar my photo of this plant is, feel free to let me know.

Daphne, Alabama