PlantFiles: Chilean Jasmine
Mandevilla laxa

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mandevilla (man-de-VILL-uh) (Info)
Species: laxa (LAKS-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Mandevilla suaveolens

Thumbnail #6 of Mandevilla laxa by bullfrog

By happy_girl
Thumbnail #7 of Mandevilla laxa by happy_girl

Positive BellaMB88 On Jul 17, 2011, BellaMB88 from Camarillo, CA wrote:

I've had this growing in a large pot, in full sun, for three years now. Blooms all summer with a wonderful fragrance.

Positive billibod On Mar 27, 2010, billibod from bangor
United Kingdom wrote:

I have had this plant for several years and it continues to do very well. I still grow it from seeds for pleading friends - once seen always wanted! It germinates quickly in a propagator, but then tends to sit for some time. I have found it grows more quickly out of the pot.
I try to keep it on the dry side in the Winter, but water regularly at other times - but it will withstand dry conditions very well. A warm, sheltered spot is essential for free flowering. Once established it is a vigorous, trouble-free climber

Positive drdeadlift On Nov 10, 2009, drdeadlift from Scotts Valley, CA wrote:

The first M. Laxa I planted at least ten years ago at the top of my hill under a clump of oaks. Temperatures of 20F have not bothered it, and it has climbed to the top of the oaks, at least 20 feet. Too bad I can't smell the flowers as they are too high up. This year I planted one near the house where I will be able to smell the flowers.

Dr Deadlift

Neutral Xeramtheum On Oct 20, 2008, Xeramtheum from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

After a few false starts I have found that Mandevilla laxa germinates best with light and humidity. I get my best results just pressing the seeds on top of the soil and placing a clear plastic cup on top. The seedlings do best with the added humidity as well.

Positive prost On Jul 27, 2007, prost from IPSWICH
United Kingdom wrote:

I'm growing them from seed. After 1 week it germinated. When it's fully grown, do I wrap it round a wire or the wire round it?

Neutral blugld On Aug 28, 2006, blugld from Fort Mill, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

8/27/06-Ft. Mill,SC I am saying neutral because even though I grew it from seed and it is growing very well, it hasn't bloomed. It does not get full sun all day thouh so, if I can just keep it growing and someone will tell me if I can overwinter it in my greenhouse maybe by cutting it back and letting it go dormant or what do I need to do because I keep my greenhoue around 50 so things won't freeze. Someone, please let me know how to keep it so I can put it in full sun next summer

Positive happy_girl On Jul 11, 2006, happy_girl from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I'm in Redondo Beach, CA (about 2 miles from the beach) and I purchased this Mandevilla Laxa at a local nursery about a month ago. It had many, many blooms on it and after they all dropped off, new buds began appearing so it's now flowering again. I also see a new seed pod so I will try and start my own from scratch.

I'm new to gardening so I have everything in pots on my deck upstairs as we will be completely renovating the front yard. There are 2 mandevilla laxa vines cascading over the railing along with mandevilla 'Alice du Pont' and 'Ruby Red'. Recently, I got carried away again at the same local nursery when I saw the mandevilla 'Tango Twirl' and 'Pink Parfait' which flowers look more like a rose as there are more petals. I have just planted those in the ground to hide our neighbor's chain link fence!

I am enjoying all the mandevillas but especially the laxa with its beautiful fragrance. The only thing I have to be vigilent about is making sure the aphids stay off the buds. I use a solution of soap and water but have noticed that it can turn the base of the flower a spotted brown color. The petals are still white and beautiful.

Neutral 3marguerites On Mar 4, 2006, 3marguerites from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I just made a mistake and now this plant will show up as growing in my area.(Albuquerque, New Mexico) That is a mistake! I have never tried to grow it.
My apologies to everyone

Positive TropicalLover21 On Apr 22, 2005, TropicalLover21 from Santa Maria, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

WONDERFUL PLANT! OMG, i was at the garden center today, and i was just looking around, i thought about getting a madagascar jasmine (im happy i didnt) i found out it was a little hard to grow in my area, we get down to about 32 in the winter... Next to the Madagascar Jasmine was this bushy white flowerd vine!! It was simply amazing... I smelled the flower, and omg, it reminds me of a expensive ladys perfume... Its just great... I got it in a 5 gallon for 25 dollars!! I would have never guessed it was a Mandevilla!!! Ive tried the pink ones here before, but with no luck, i thought this one would like the high heat and the warm winter too, like its cousin... Well it doesnt! The roots are hardy to 5 degrees in winter!!! WoW, i cant wait for it to get fuller, i just fertalized it with Bayer Advanced All-In-One Rose & Flower Care Concentrate.. Well it is more like a mix of disease control, insecticide and fertalizer all in one, you just mix and pour at the base of the plant! Ive used this before on my yard when i had whiteflys, (man i hate whiteflys, spraying never seemed to work!) and it did the job! and i didnt have to re apply for three months! It stays in the plant, even the new growth, man i love it! And i love this Mandevilla Laxa! :O)

Positive LynneSun On May 12, 2004, LynneSun from Cape Town
wrote:

I had a Mandevilla laxa in my garden in Cape Town, South Africa, for about 6 years and it was the most magnificent and obliging plant. It was growing in a box-wall herb garden, facing north and it got just about full-day sun. For a while I wasn't very good about watering it and it didn't grow very fast. But suddenly, despite my neglect, it took off and very soon covered an area of wall about 15 feet long. It went up as far as it could go - about 7 feet, and then tumbled over the wall. In all that time I never fertilised it but I learnt to water it regularly. Sadly, we sold that house last year but the summer before it flowered for six months solid - huge trusses of beautiful white flowers covered the entire wall, and the fragrance in the evenings was sublime. For the record, Cape Town has a Mediterranean climate with winter rainfall. I don't know if it was just luck that this plant grew so well where it did but I'd give my right arm (almost) for another one.

Neutral elmas On Apr 16, 2004, elmas from saskatoon

i'm growing my mandevilla from seeds i purchased. i find them to be a very slow growing. they didn't take long to germinate, but i got my first true leaves about in a month, will i get flowers this summer, also will they produce seeds.

Positive nckathy1950 On Sep 27, 2003, nckathy1950 wrote:

This is my first year growing these beautiful plants. I had seen several growing on fences and decided I had to have at least one. I now have two; one has been blooming profusely and has two long, bean-like pods. I'm going to try to grow my own from seeds.

Positive bullfrog On Jan 13, 2003, bullfrog from El Cerrito, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I started with a one-gallon plant, about two feet tall in spring; by the end of the summer it was up to 15 feet.

It was covered with very fragrant white flowers all summer and then produced beautiful double 1-foot long bean like seed pods. The seeds will sprout in less than a week. It received full sun most of the day but we don't get much real heat in the San Francisco Bay (California) area.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 29, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Flowers are fragrant. Plant is deciduous. It also prefers full sun. May be pruned in late winter before new growth starts.

Positive meiyu On Aug 13, 2002, meiyu from san antonio, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have these mandevillas in both white and pink, and while there are varieties which produce a much prettier flower, I was surprised to find that these are lightly fragrant! The white ones are smaller and the pink ones are almost double the size, but I'm not sure if it was due to different diets, being raised in two different greenhouses, or just they way they are. Perhaps after they've lived with me for a few more months, on the same diet, they will become the same size (the larger size flower, hopefully!). Since nothing but really ugly and dangerous creatures love the Texas mid-day sun, I have raised mine on either morning or late afternoon (or a little of each) sun, and all my mandevillas grow like weeds. My beauties like to reach out for the warmth of the sun while their feet stay moist and cool, covered in pine bark mulch, and they love a bi-monthly dose of SuperBloom! Oh, yeah, and I always put a blanket of organic compost down before laying them in their bed of neutral soil (6.5-7.0 ph).

Camarillo, California
Lecanto, Florida
Lithia, Florida
Ocala, Florida
Guyton, Georgia
New Orleans, Louisiana (2 reports)
Bishopville, Maryland