Mango Ataulfo 'Ataulfo'

Mangifera indica

Family: Anacardiaceae (an-a-kard-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mangifera (man-GEF-er-uh) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Ataulfo

Grow outdoors year-round

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

By grafting

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Hayward, California

Orlando, Florida

On Jun 26, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

"All good tasting mango varieties are grafted. The odds of a seed producing worthwhile fruit are very, very small. All mango trees grown from any seed are properly called 'Wild Mango Trees'."

Seed-grown plants do not come true to the parent type. To get 'Ataulfo' fruit, you need to graft your own tree or purchase a grafted tree. Only vegetative propagation produces a tree like the parent. Growing a tree from seed is like growing an apple tree from seed---it's unlikely to be much like the parent.

On Jun 25, 2016, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

In early spring of 2014 I planted an Ataulfo aka Champagne seed. One of three from some of the best Mangoes I ever had.
One sprouted fast and large..the other two smaller eventually faded away. That one was planted a few days ago in my garden. Maybe 2',it took the last two winters outdoors in stride,and I expect it to fruit in the next two years possibly.

I will say..I like the size of the fruit. They make a great snack and I rarely want to go at some monster sized fruit. These,are popular for a reason.

Ataulfo and its relative the Manila Mango are polyembryonic. So,they do grow true from seed. No need to graft.

On Sep 25, 2009, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

A high-yield mango variety from Mexico.

On Jul 31, 2008, evr from Toronto, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

You don't need to germinate them in agar agar - I was able to germinate 4 (100% germination rate) with just a "fake green house" to enforce similar conditions in the tropics and speed up the germination process.

Just take out the hard husk of the seed and it'll be good to go. They'll germinate within 5-14 days and you can see the sturdy roots grow...they germinate quicker that jackfruits!

On Jul 27, 2004, WalterT from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Mango Ataulfo is a smallish, bright yellow mango grown in Mexico and sometimes imported into the U.S. The seed is very thin so there is more sweet, juicey, fibreless flesh on the fruit than one would expect. The shape is unusual in that the large end is where the stem is attached and the bottom end is smaller - the opposite of a pear.
I bought one recently, at the end of the season, and upon opening the husk and removing the seed I found that the embryo had already sprouted a six inch root which was curled up inside the husk. I placed the seed very carefully in a cradle with the root below and suspended it in a jar of water to see if it wld possibly straighten out and grow. The sprout embryo looked as if it is also beginning to grow, so maybe it will become a viable plant. Walter... read more