Toad Lily

Tricyrtis macropoda

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tricyrtis (try-SER-tis) (Info)
Species: macropoda (mak-roh-POH-da) (Info)
Synonym:Tricyrtis dilatata

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Flowers are good for cutting

Partial to Full Shade

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Annapolis, Maryland

Baltimore, Maryland

Bridgewater, Massachusetts

Dearborn Heights, Michigan

Tawas City, Michigan

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Lexington, Virginia

On May 8, 2011, tinyard from Baltimore, MD wrote:

I bought this plant at the annual plant sale at the historic William Paca House in Annapolis, where it has been grown successfully in their gardens for years. They suggest shade/part shade, and I have planted 3 at the base of my Forest Pansy redbud - which has just been diagnosed with canker.
8/01/11 Growing fast - and flopping over a bit. Also seems to be busily sending up little plantlets, so I am hoping it is easily controlled rather than invasive. Bloom time is Aug-Sept so am looking forward to flowers. Will send photos. Fingers crossed re tree.

On Oct 27, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I first acquired a unremarkable little toadlily from a plant collector - the rest of the garden club had already passed this plant over as except for the yellow flower specie, the others tend to be fickle in Minnesota due to their need for acidic soil.

I overwinterized it in its pot as it was acquired in late summer and the drought were bad - it survived the winter so it is zone 4 hardy and clearly tough!

The man said its name is Red toadlily and I notice its difference from the other common species - it don't have spots like yellow toadlily and it have thick - looking, shiny leaves compare to t. hirtis and its look alikes.

It bloomed in late summer but earlier than the other purple flower species. It was a interesting plant and you have to s... read more

On Dec 27, 2006, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

The seed is said to germinate at room temperature, but needs light, and also to respond well to winter-sowing.