Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Stupice'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Stupice

Juneau, Alaska

Holbrook, Arizona

Sierra Vista, Arizona

Tucson, Arizona

Berkeley, California (2 reports)

Capitola, California

Fallbrook, California

Hercules, California

Los Altos, California

Los Angeles, California

Menifee, California

San Francisco, California (2 reports)

San Luis Obispo, California

Sunnyvale, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Ukiah, California

Westbrook, Connecticut

Casselberry, Florida

Tallahassee, Florida

Dacula, Georgia

Chicago, Illinois (2 reports)

Grayslake, Illinois

Freeland, Washington

Grand Mound, Washington

Madison, Wisconsin

On Sep 19, 2014, ocean_314 from Ukiah, CA wrote:

Was not impressed. Very small fruit little bigger then a cherry. Taste was not impressive.
I would rather grow a cherry such as black cherry or sweet millions.
Fourth of July is a much better early tomato.

On Aug 12, 2014, dorisv from Oakland, CA wrote:

Very few tomatoes set and seemed to be susceptible to aphids. With all of the positive reviews, I was hoping for much more. Will not grow this variety again.

On Aug 8, 2013, crapsdealer from Pilot Rock, OR wrote:

I picked this up on a whim as I had never heard of it, and decided to put it in a container with an Indigo Rose for my eighty-something mother to grow on her porch, but it never made it there. Both plants in the pot outgrew the pot, and while I am getting a lot of tomatoes, I will grow the Stupice alone next year. It is interesting that a few friends have said they grow Stupice for their parents, who are in their eighties, and it is a favorite of those who said it reminded them of their parents' Victory Gardens. The first one was ripe July 24th, and was very tasty and tomatoey with no evident acidity. I have had about three ripe every three days since, and my mother pronounced it one of her favorites ever. I will grow it again. It is small, and not real juicy, but juicy enough. I would gro... read more

On Jun 2, 2013, papayaman from Los Altos, CA wrote:

I planted a small transplant around March 10 and had my first red tomato on June 1. Stupice was the earliest of the 17 varieties I am growing this year. The one red tomato I've had so far was delicious.

On Feb 23, 2013, MrBig46 from Brno
Czech Republic wrote:

I plant tomatoes in my garden in Brno (Czech republic). I cultivated about 150 tomatoes plant last year. About twenty different types of tomatoes, some heirloom, some F1. Tomato Stupice is my favorite plant because has 60 days from plant to harvest (zone 5 ??).
Tomato Stupice (in czech - Stupicke polni rane) (in english - Stupice field early) arisened from crossing (Rheinland glory x Mikado x Solanum racemigerum) in cultivator station in community Stupice (near Prague) in 1955.
Other type which arisened from this crossing was Stupické skleníkové (in english - Stupice greenhouse). It has too potatoe (mikado) leafs. I don´t plant this type because I haven´t greenhouse. Both types are in Catalogue of varieties of vegetable species EU.

On Aug 17, 2012, gojo from Camano Island, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is the most reliable tomato here that is larger than cherries. The first set of fruit is watery, but they get more flavorful as the summer goes on.

On Jul 22, 2012, esmerelda51 from Gold Hill, OR wrote:

Great producer but small size, mealiness, and mediocre flavor will keep me from growing again.

On Sep 18, 2011, CenFL_garden from Casselberry, FL wrote:

I tried growing them twice! I like the taste and their round shape, but it's hard to grow them in Florida. They don't produce here as well as Juliets, Sungold, Black Krims, better bush or Cherokee purples. Two times I didn'd get more than 5-6 small tomatoes per plant! I will not try again!

On Aug 1, 2011, Ispahan from Chicago, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

I am really enjoying my 'Stupice' this year. Sometimes it is better to forget about all of the unusual heirloom tomato distractions out there and just focus on the basics.

For me, 'Stupice' sets heavily in cold weather, in hot weather (several weeks in mid-90s), in extreme wind and in partial shade. It is always the first non-cherry to ripen and will continue to ripen fruit steadily until the very end of the season when other plants will already have petered out. My plants have never been bothered by pests or disease, and they have a very attractive and manageable compact indeterminate growth habit.

Considering the abundant fruit set, earliness and size of the tomatoes, 'Stupice' has a wonderful flavor. It is mainly sweet with a slight, nice tang undern... read more

On Jul 16, 2011, GardenerLynne from Warfield

We're having one of the coldest spring/early summers in 50 years here in southern BC and we've been eating Stupice now for a couple of weeks. Delicious, setting well at very low temperatures (i.e. night times down to 6C), no disease so far. Thrilled with this tomato. It will be a staple slicer in our garden.

On Sep 29, 2010, MendoArnie from Potter Valley, CA wrote:

I bought two Stupice in starter pots at the annual plant sale held by the Ag Dept at our local community college. Never heard of them before. What a pleasant surprise! I'll probably never grow cherry tomatoes again since one stupice gives me about the same mouthful as a half-dozen cherries. And, early in the season when nobody else had tomatoes, I had Stupice. Now it's the end of September and my two Stupice show no signs of slowing production. I'm saving the seeds!

On Sep 14, 2010, jhwentworth from Loudon, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Comments on Stupice seem all over the place, but there is a common thread that early in the season the fruit is bland but improves significantly by mid-to-late season. I'd agree with that judgement, and also that Stupice is a strong producer and very disease resistant. I grew from seed, and agree that the seedlings didn't look like much when transplanted, but in a month they were growing strongly. Stupice has a long fruiting season and is still producing well in mid-September.

On Aug 16, 2010, gretel5555 from Pottstown, PA wrote:

I'm going with Neutral. This plant has been extremely generous in terms of fruit production. However, the taste is only so-so. Perhaps I'm spoiled...this is my first garden and I've grown Mexico Midget cherry tomatoes, Pink Brandywines, and Purple Cherokees. Compared to those, this tastes like a super-market tomato. Will probably freeze and see if it makes some decent sauce this winter. Very acidic.

On Jun 6, 2010, jallaway from Houston, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I'll give Stupice a negative after two seasons of growing it from seed. The first year, the plants never produced all spring and finally died in the heat. The second year, they actually produced and gave the first tomatoes (if only by a few days) of the spring. But what do you get? A small green-shouldered fruit that ripens to a very mild tasting tomato. Maybe I'm too far south - maybe different conditions would give a better tomato - these are too many maybes to put this little guy on my repeat list.

On Feb 19, 2010, dlbailey from Central Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This tomato is all that is said about it. Very productive, early, long bearing and extremely delicious. Stupice ripened about 2 weeks before any other tomato last year - around mid-June. It continue to set fruit all the way to Fall, though slowing down towards the end. It is a sweet, medium sized tomato.

On Nov 24, 2009, jimh6278 from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

I was very disappointed in this tomato. I grew it on a trellis with 4 other varieties and it was by far the worst in terms of size of plant and production. The tomatoes I did get were small and tasteless. It was more like a large cherry than a full tomato. And unlike the results others had, the taste did not improve later in the season. I only grew a single plant so the results do not represent a large sample but I will not grow it again.

On Sep 30, 2009, rbrown974 from Newark Valley, NY wrote:

Introduced by Abundant Life in 1977. Weighs 8-to-the-pound; good size for canning whole. Of 9 varieties I grew in 2007, Stupice had the weakest seedlings both inside after germination and outside after transplant. Required a lot of babying. Yield was on par with Rutgers. Long yield period (5 weeks as opposed to 3 for most varieties).

On Sep 18, 2009, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

A reliable, productive, early tomato whose medium small size is about right for lunching. It's taste is ok but not great, and often has yellowish or green shoulders but I'll probably continue to grow it.

On Sep 15, 2009, grrrlgeek from Grayslake, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very tasty, smaller than I thought, so I think I'll use this as my salad tomato next year and grow a bigger one for sandwiches. Does very well in a huge tub, 2 plants with 1 basil and 1 marigold per tub.

On Aug 9, 2009, aspenbooboo41 from Whitehall, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew this variety because of many positive reviews I've read on DG. I am finding the 'early and prolific' part to be quite true. However, except for a few here and there, most fruits are only slightly bigger than a golf ball, which is smaller than I'd expected. Also, as far as taste I would rate these as mediocre. Just my opinion, but overall I'm a bit disappointed.
I grew First Lady (hyrbrid) last year and if I had to choose between that and Stupice for an early I would choose First Lady (better taste, larger size, just as early and prolific).

On Jun 5, 2009, azruss from Marana, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very early with good heat tolerance. Good flavor that becomes exceptional when cooked or dried. (Hot Stupice juice is to die for, trust me.) It's fresh flavor isn't Brandywine by a long shot, but it's better than store-bought. Extremely prolific.

On May 29, 2009, mspark from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Grown stupice in San Francisco's banana belt for the past 7 years and results have been tremendous.

I prune buds so that the only largest two flowers are left to fruit up and all the plant's energies go into making the largest fruits. The largest one tends to have the heirloom qualities to it, all pleated and funny shaped.

Here in SF it gets pretty cold at night and skins get tough, so it makes sense to me to avoid multiple small fruits which have a high skin to flesh ratio in favor of a few larger fruits.

Also, the plant has a branching habit which I tend to nip in the bud, resulting in plants that can get up to 15' tall towards the end of the summer. Every time a bud branch comes, the plant wants to send up another growing head in that not... read more

On Jan 29, 2009, tomatl from Kootenays, BC (Zone 6b) wrote:

Stupice is a mainstay in my garden - every year I have at least one (if not two or three) growing. Excellent for shorter seasons, and it has a fantastic flavour. My tomatoes always get to be about tennis ball (to a little bigger) sized, about 2" in diameter. We have hot, hot hot spells here in the Kootenays and this tomato still keeps going strong. I've never had a problem with disease or pests in all my years of growing either. Very early, prolific producer, and keeps going right up until frost.

On Jul 31, 2008, bobkubik from Berkeley, CA wrote:

I have grown Stupice for 7 years in west Marin County and now for 9 years in Berkeley. I would especially recommend it for cooler regions like this. It is very early, productive, not subject to disease, and tasty. I would not recommend it for warm regions like the south or the mid-west.
Some years ago I won the bay area contest for the earliest tomato grown from seed with Stupice.

On Mar 15, 2008, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

These did not live up to the hype for me personally. They were indeed early, but flavor early in the season was not great at all. Very bland and horrible texture. They are tiny - barely larger than a cherry tomato. Big seeds and lots of juice, no meat. Later in the season they seemed to transform - flavor improved markedly, gaining a complex warmth that I did enjoy. (Texture and size remained the same, however.) I don't think I would grow this again - the point of it for me was to have decent tasting early tomatoes, and this didn't do it. There are many more better tasting mid and late season varieties to grow for later production.

On Nov 26, 2006, mulchmania from Ennis, MT (Zone 4a) wrote:

We absolutely love this tomato in our difficult climate! It is superior to Early Girl in flavor and speed both, which is what I wanted to find. I grow it in a large hoop house directly in the ground, fully mulched with grass clippings so the environment is a bit odd, not a normal greenhouse. Stupice does great until fall when it gets a bit too cool and damp with the poor air circulation in there.

On Sep 18, 2006, tmm99 from Sunnyvale, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love it, love it, love it! I love the flavor of Stupice. They are so very tasty. And they are early and very productive to boot! I am very pleased with this cultivar.

It does get some green shoulders and it seems to not like too much heat though. They are small - golf ball size - but I like the size too. Easy to bring to work for lunch and eat them like you would eat plums or peaches or something.

It is definitely a keeper for me.

tmm

On Sep 13, 2006, sonofgoom from East Jordan, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

This is our first year with this plant. After a long winter with no fresh tomatoes, we were blown away by our initial tasting. Great balanced flavor and nice golf ball size fruit that haven't stopped bearing. The only strange note here is the later fruit are taking on a boxier, angular shape. I don't know why.. Will grow again.

On Jul 27, 2006, Zeppy from Shenandoah Valley, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

The plant grew rapidly, bore excellent-flavored tomatoes early and prolifically. Very pleased!

On Jul 25, 2006, BDale60 from Warren, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Sorry to file a minority report here, but I've tried twice from two different seed companies and I still cannot get "Stupice" to take off and thrive. It barely germinates. (Yes, I know, it must be my fault and this variety is supposed to be fantastically hardy but I've started and grown at least a dozen other varieities quite successfully under exactly the same conditions, so what gives?) I may give it another try some day but at this point my feeling is there are so many great tomatoes and only so much space in the garden. Much prefer my big Prudens, Brandywines, and Amana Oranges to whatever this Stupice is supposed to yield. Hats off to those of you who have grown it so successfully.

On Jun 27, 2006, windowgames from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

I am in Maryland on the border with Washington, D.C. I'm adventuring to grow a stupice plant in my high-rise apt 10th-story window which faces mostly South, a little East. A very hot, sunny window. This plant was sold to me as the "best chance" to thrive on a window sill because of its being a "dwarf." So far it is 3-1/2 feet tall! I see from this website that it may grow 7 feet! (I got this idea from seeing a happy tomato plant in an office building upper-story window.) The window is six feet long and I extended a platform on the sill to hold the appropriately large pot.

I have tiny little green tomato orbs growing fast and lots more blooms coming at the top. (Sorry, I'm a new gardener, don't know the proper name for the little yellow flowers where the tomatoes sta... read more

On Jun 4, 2006, pajaritomt from Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is the earliest tomato I get here in Los Alamos, NM, other than the cherry tomatoes. It is also a favorite. The fruit is small but delicious and it is very productive until the end of the summer. When my larger, later tomatoes begin to bear, Stupice often seems to get some sort of virus or wilt and to start looking sickly and to produce tomatoes that taste "off". Still, it is worth planting just for the big crop of tomatoes when nothing else is bearing.

On Jan 18, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Manageable sized plants for 7-10 gal containers and a cheapie cage. Sets very well in the heat, also does well as a fall crop with the shorter day length. Very early variety.

On Sep 27, 2005, fwfarm from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

Delicious early tomato! Small, attractive fruit, flavor is mild - other early tomatos have better flavor - but this is the sweetest, some say too sweet. It wasn't the earliest, but reasonable. And this one keeps pumping out tomatoes into the fall. Amazing quartered in pasta or greek salad.

On Sep 1, 2005, cottonpicker from Audubon, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

VERY EARLY producer of sm. to med. sized fruits, very productive, variously shaped fruits but consistently tasty!
Not bothered by a few 38 degree nites.

On Jul 21, 2005, HERBIE43 from Rutland , MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

first time growing them. small in size but big on taste. i will grow them again.

On Jul 20, 2005, critterologist from Frederick, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

Fabulous early variety! This was my first year using Wall-O-Waters. I planted out 'Stupice' and 'Oregon Spring' on April 6. Harvested my first ripe 'Stupice' on June 20!! 'Oregon Spring' didn't start until mid July.

The flavor is complex & nicely balanced, reminded me of a pink beefsteak (which I love). Oddly, the shape of this tomato varies quite a bit, although the size is generally small. I will definitely grow this one again!

On Nov 30, 2004, suzy_qu3 from East Chatham, NY wrote:

I love these little guys! They are very tolerant of my less than perfect indoor starting conditions. As soon as I get my little runts into the ground, they take off. I have to tie them up twice in the first week. They are so delicious and produce well until a good hard frost. They tend to be green shouldered, but I don't really care. They blanche very easily and make a wonderful salsa.

On Sep 5, 2004, Sequee from Carmel, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

A great little tomato. Very early producing and keeps on giving throughout the season. Nice, wholesome flavor.

On Aug 20, 2004, sharvis from Klamath Falls, OR (Zone 6a) wrote:

These have been extremely cold hardy here and have come back after being seriously frost damaged to produce tasty 4 to 5 oz fruits on a large vine. Good for short season climates.

On Aug 13, 2004, Tmaterz from Seattle, WA wrote:

I grew Stupice in the Seattle area. It is a great cool weather tomato. It was an early ripener and all except the very bottom fruits have been outrageously delicious. I recommend this plant highly in this area. It is an attractive potato leaf that grows to about 7 ft. The fruits are not large but flavorful.

On Aug 6, 2004, alaska_rick from Juneau, AK (Zone 5a) wrote:

My friend in Montana is Slovak and he swears by the flavor of Stupice. Stupice is an heirloom from Slovakia.

They are growing fine here in Alaska and so far this year ( August 6 ) they are my only ones that have ripened. I would rate the taste - here in Alaska - as average. I think that it is because there is so much rain in Juneau. I am getting a high percentage of splits. At least 50%. To me anyway they are too watery but in Montana they taste better?? More sun, less water maybe?

UPDATE as of August 24.
The STUPICE are still producing fine but strangely there has been a great improvement in taste. It almost is like a new tomato. Same plants as before but the tomato flavor is super. Way above average now. What can I say? I have to alter my r... read more