Pumpkin, Winter Squash 'Spirit'

Cucurbita pepo

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Spirit

Pumpkin (winter)

91 to 100 days

Mature Skin Color:

7 to 11 pounds (3 to 5 kg)

12 to 20 pounds (5 to 9 kg)

Lincoln, Nebraska

Leetonia, Ohio

Tygh Valley, Oregon

On Aug 6, 2011, 3wer4c from Leetonia, OH wrote:

My seeds did not germinate extremely well, but grew like crazy then,and have orange pumpkins on already. Space saving bushy plant. By the way, most pumpkins do start out green before turning orange.

On Jun 21, 2007, sprucecrick from San Jose, CA wrote:

Well it started out not so good when I saw what looked like a "round" zuchinni or "rolly poly" squash instead of an orange funny face pumpkin. I ended up calling the grower and emailed him pictures of the plant. He assured me it was not a squash but a pumpkin that would
turn orange later on which is the characteristics of this plant. I suggested that on the tag they could mention something about it starting out green before it goes orange.

On Jul 18, 2006, Cybrczch from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

2006 - Direct seeded in a 10 x 15 plot in late May, as of July 18 the single hill has taken nearly 4 x 8 of the plot. Three large pumpkins (one has already started oranging up), a half dozen smaller ones and still blooming. Doesn't seem to be as bothered with squash bug as some types I've grown before.

On Jan 20, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1975 hybrid introduced by Petoseed (Seminis). A semi-bush type with heavy stem and10-15 lb orange fruit. Compare to Funny Face.

On Aug 5, 2004, Oregonics from Tygh Valley, OR (Zone 6a) wrote:

Dark orange, 10-12lb., smooth, ribbed pumpkin. Semi-bush plant. Maturity: 98days.

I've had good luck with this one, 8 nice pumpkins from 2 vines. Wilting towards the ends of vines in hot weather, now that fruit is growing fast (Aug5 90-100f).
I'm not sure how cold-hardy pumpkins are? This 'Spirit' survived a few lite frosts & 1 hard one though.
I'll post again at harvest/JackOlantern time.