PlantFiles: Florida Pusley
Richardia scabra

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Richardia (rich-AR-dee-uh) (Info)
Species: scabra (SKAY-bruh) (Info)

Not Applicable

Blooms all year

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

By Farmerdill
Thumbnail #1 of Richardia scabra by Farmerdill

By Farmerdill
Thumbnail #2 of Richardia scabra by Farmerdill

Positive carolmhoffman On Jul 13, 2013, carolmhoffman from Miami Beach, FL wrote:

This sweet little plant makes a great ground cover. We have an acre of "lawn" which is really just mowed native grasses and plants. And Richardia is part of this lawn. I love the little blue/purple flowers.

Once I was walking across our lawn and I could hear the hum of a hundred bees. Where are they, I wondered. I looked down and they were merrily buzzing around the Richardia.

I'd like to know if anyone really has eaten them.

carol hoffman

Positive JanetSFL On Dec 27, 2012, JanetSFL from Juno Beach, FL wrote:

My yard is a sea of this stuff and if indeed edible, I'm in hog heaven and will dig right in. Am growing hydroponic veggies in stacking garden so I'll enjoy something different. I also have sorrel, betony, Spanish needles and probably a lot of other stuff I haven't had time to research. This particular plant was really hard to find a name for and ran into it by chance. My neighbor incorrectly called it Florida Betony but I knew better so kept searching for Florida Lawn Weed, lol. I'm pretty sure FL Pulsey is the real name and thanks for your website!
Janet

Positive Passionflowerz On Oct 30, 2011, Passionflowerz from Punta Gorda, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

LOL, I know I'm going to get creamed for this, but I actually love this little weed. The flowers are delicate, and it attracts tons of butterflies and bees. And the biggest plus? Wherever it grows, I don't have to mow! It lies low enough to the ground that it makes a perfect field of green and pale lavendar groundcover for all the beneficials. I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure

Neutral DBauer7998 On Nov 22, 2009, DBauer7998 from Deltona, FL wrote:

Florida Pusley (Richardia scabra) IS a weed that it is difficult to get rid of, but it IS edible, and can be used in salads.

Negative xyris On Aug 21, 2004, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

You think you have it bad in Georgia with this one ... in central Florida it is a PERENNIAL weed! Even the slightest pieces of its thick fleshy taproots left in the ground will resprout, in addition to its prolific seeding. I have seen single plants forming mats up to three feet across. Constantly having to weed this out of my gardens in dry to moist deep sandy soil.

Negative deedeeb On Aug 11, 2004, deedeeb from DeLand, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This weed is a big nuisance. It pops up everywhere and I'm constantly pulling it out.

Negative Farmerdill On Aug 6, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a persistant annual weed. Most complaints are from lawns, but it is a major weed in cultivated crops. The flowers are white and grow in clumps at the end of the stems. The flower is star shaped with six parts connected to form a tube. Florida pusley will flower anytime the temperature is above freezing. Florida pusley spreads by seed. Florida pusley is found in areas of the United States where warm-season grasses proliferate.

Deland, Florida
Deltona, Florida
Fort Myers, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Lakeland, Florida