PlantFiles: Leyland Cypress
X Cupressocyparis leylandii

Family: Cupressaceae (koo-press-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: X Cupressocyparis (koo-press-so-SIP-ar-iss) (Info)
Species: leylandii (lay-LAN-dee-eye) (Info)

Synonym:Cupressus x leylandii

Conifers

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Seed is poisonous if ingested
Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling
Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Inconspicuous/none

Thumbnail #6 of X Cupressocyparis leylandii by purplesun

By YesMan_
Thumbnail #7 of X Cupressocyparis leylandii by YesMan_

Neutral Rickwebb On Jan 23, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

It is hybrid between the Monterey Cypress of central California X the Nootka or Alaska Falsecypress of the Pacific Northwest that occurred on an estate with a botanical collection in Wales in the late 1800's. I've never seen cones on it, but it is said it can bear them. It grows very fast of about 2 to 3 ft/yr. It is over-planted in Delaware and lots in se PA. Some die from canker diseases brought on from drought or other stress, and if the soil stays too wet they die from Phytophora Root Rot, but most are successful. In the mid-Atlantic they usually get about 25 to 35 ft high in landscapes. They are used a lot for evergreen screens. Single specimens often don't look great. The screen behind my yard has lost its lower branches because my ornamental trees have cast some shade upon their lower parts.

Positive purplesun On Mar 1, 2010, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

This tree has been an amazing performer for me here. I grow it in a container on the roof of my garage and it went through its first winter as if nothing had happened. Temps dipped to -16 C, and even if its roots were frozen solid, it showed no sign of distress whatsoever. It still looks fresh and green.
It does need the additional water though. Apart from that no problems with this plant. And, it is an amazing grower.

Positive catcollins On Jan 21, 2009, catcollins from West Friendship, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

When we bought our house, the previous owners had planted two screens of Leylands between both neighbor's houses. The one on the south side was planted with a reasonable spacing of 8'. However the line planted on the north side (apparently planted later by another family) are just 3-4' apart. Please don't do that!!! We had to dig up and give away every other tree in the front yard when the trees where 8' tall and it was a huge amount of work (4 trees). They did transfer just fine, however. The ones in the back yard have yet to be thinned and I'm dreading having to take ten trees out. These we have to just chop down and it makes me mad! They grow really fast, and you don't need to plant them so close together.

They do have shallow roots, and at about 8' can really benefit from a round of root starter to make them grow deeper roots. We nearly lost several when Isabel blew through, did the root starter, and now have had zero leaning issues despite some very serious wind storms and an additional 3-4' of height.

Feed with evergreen spikes every 2-3 years to keep the tips from browning.

Neutral jengamom On May 31, 2008, jengamom from Lakeville, MA wrote:

I have heard that this plant has shallow roots. I planted 4 of them in loamy soil about 3 years ago and they are still staked because when we have a lot of rain and wind in the spring they start to keel over. However, the 2 I planted in more compact soil have thus far stood up to the elements without being staked.

Neutral katrinas On Oct 6, 2006, katrinas from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 11) wrote:

Here in CA the tree is used for a quick screen; however, the plant is known to get Coryneum, a canker fungus. There isn't a cure for the disease and it can be passed to near by trees of the same type. Cleaning your pruning blades with a bleach solution between each cut will only delay the spread of the disease/death of the plant(s). If the plant lives longer then you are fortunate to not have the disease in your area.

This plant has it place in the landscape, but it could be short lived in some regions.

Neutral jamiecutts On Jan 18, 2006, jamiecutts from Nottingham
United Kingdom wrote:

Please, don't plant this tree unless you're really regular with trimming it, or you've got a big garden! It doesn't regenerate from old wood, so if your hedge gets too fat, you can't get it back to "civilised". The original tree is at Welshpool (England/Wales border), 120yrs old, 130 feet tall, and still going up. Here in England, it provides tree surgeons with a LOT of work, and most of us get to dislike it fairly quickly. When cutting/trimming it, wear long sleeves, 'cos the sap itches like crazy. As a standard, it's not as pretty as either of its parents (Nootka Cypress and Monterey Cypress).

Neutral escambiaguy On Dec 14, 2005, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Attractive they may be, they are overplanted in my area. Everytime I go into a garden center around here it seems thats all I see is Leyland Cypress.

Neutral zemerson On Oct 19, 2005, zemerson from Calvert County, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have many of these trees bordering my yard. Some have done beautifully and others have suddenly turned brown and died. I still don't know why. Possibly soil toxins or water ponding.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Apr 16, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I, too, bought my Leyland Cypress as a 1 gallon potted living tree for my first Christmas in my house in 2002. It has survived and grown with little care and retains naturally a pleasing conical shape. I'm concerned that I might have to risk moving it if it continues to grow. It is now about 9 ft high and 4 ft in circumference and is situated at the edge of one of my garden paths. I plan to get at it soon with my electric hedge trimmers to top it out and trim it into a more compact conical topiary shape, as I have done in the past. These trees can apparently be trimmed at the branch tips without harm.

Neutral nick89 On Apr 15, 2005, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I purchased a scrawny sapling in a one-gallon pot from Lowe's five years ago. It is now over 10 feet tall and at least half as wide, taking up more than its alotted space. Although I knew it grew fast, the actual speed it grows at was beyond my expectations. Very popular in my area as a fast-growing screen.

Positive patp On Dec 30, 2004, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Beautiful, full, dark green foliage. It must love our SC clay soil and humid summers. Thrives in drought conditions, too.

Neutral TREEHUGR On Dec 29, 2004, TREEHUGR from Now in Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Ditto. Same problem.
They seem to do ok here in the nursery so I'm assuming they don't like the soil here or the watering regimen (or lack thereof)

Negative deborahgrand On Aug 17, 2004, deborahgrand from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

This plant was sold as a "live Christmas tree" for use in BR, LA. It hasn't done well inside or out; shade or sun, heavy water or drought. I've read a lot of info that says they are supposed to be very hardy, but I've had nothing but grief with mine and have finally given up on it.

Dothan, Alabama
Schwenksville, Pennsylvania
Greenville, South Carolina
Summerville, South Carolina
Cordova, Tennessee
Knoxville, Tennessee (2 reports)
El Paso, Texas