Cane Begonia, Angel Wing Begonia 'Pink'

Begonia coccinea

Family: Begoniaceae (be-gon-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Begonia (be-GON-yuh) (Info)
Species: coccinea (kok-SIN-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink
Additional cultivar information:(aka Dona-Ema)
» View all varieties of Begonias

Port Arthur, Texas

Webster, Texas

Kennewick, Washington

On Sep 6, 2009, Sylvanmaid from New Ulm, TX wrote:

I found a pot of sticks at a house I rented in college, over 40 years ago, in Colorado. On a whim, I started watering the pot and soon and the sticks came to life and turned into a beautiful Angel Wing begonia. I carried that plant with me to Arkansas and then Texas, making cuttings from it all the while, and I still have numerous offspring from that original "stick". Some I use as houseplants, some as porch plants under shade, and I'm going to try putting some in the ground this fall. The leaves alone make for a beautiful plant but when it blooms, it's simply stunning! It requires little care although it's important NOT to overwater it.

On Aug 28, 2009, jaslacovis from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I order my Begonia's online from Logees Greenhouse. I've had great sucess with every type including this one. They grow fine outside in the summer. I can usually get my fiberous begonia's to bloom in the fall and spring when the avail light begins to deminish. I cut mine back at the end of each summer when they get too leggy or tall. Passing out the stem cuttings to friends.

On Aug 1, 2009, tinagreen from Kennewick, WA wrote:

i started this huge plant from one leaf that looked dead and cob webs all over it....but i put some water in the cup and it came back. i don't know anything about it except for that i love the leaves...they are very beautiful. i did learn that these things flower! i didn't know that cause mine sure doesn' can i find out why and help my plant to start?

On Apr 23, 2009, 1MRD from Oakland, MD wrote:

I have this plant, I love it and think its beautiful. I have an issue however, one of my taller plants is slowing dying from the bottom up. Long story short I have my dog to thank for that. Anywho, Could some please help me out with a method of removing the portion of healthy plant and rooting it. A PM or response through the notes would be a huge help. It is an amazing plant, suggest it to everyone.

On Aug 29, 2008, JRush from Guilford, CT (Zone 7a) wrote:

This cane Begonia loves a shady spot outdoors, & more than an hour or two of direct sunlight will burn the leaves. Indoors, any bright window will do.
Larger plants will benefit from a yearly pruning. Cut stalks back to 4-6" in early Winter, when the stalks begin to lose the lower leaves. This will ensure new cane growth, & a full, lush plant for the next growing season. Make 6" pieces from the cuttings & sink them 2-3" into damp peat/soil to propagate.