Maya Palm

Gaussia maya

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gaussia (GAUS-see-uh) (Info)
Species: maya

Pompano Beach, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

On Oct 20, 2008, palmaust from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

I planted Gaussia Maya in 2004 on the western side of my property in the Sub Tropical city of Brisbane Australia. It receives shade from morning and midday sun but is fully exposed to the afternoon sun and shows no sign of yellowing of leaves. It has 4 beautiful green fronds plus spear for new frond and a bulbous base at the trunk. Presently it has a 7 inch diameter trunk and it is over 6 feet in height to the top of the curent spear.

On Nov 16, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This palm, at least in southern California, where it grows slowly but usually reliably, is not known for its beauty. It tends to only hold 3-4 leaves at a time making it look somewhat anemic. In my old yard, my palm never had more than 2 good looking leaves on it at a time... one fading leaf and a spike about to open. It is mostly a palm for collectors here, who just want it because they want 'everything'. IF I get another garden again someday, I will save precious room for more interesting looking plants.

On Nov 16, 2004, jungleboy_fl from Naples, FL wrote:

Native to Guatemala, the "Maya Palm" is a nice addition to the tropical, or warm and humid subtropical garden. They prefer partial shade- leaves yellow and burn in the hot sun. The trunk is prominently ringed, leaves are somewhat plumose. These palms are great in south Florida due to their preference for alkaline soil. Keep them moist, fertilize regularly, and growth will be rapid.