Guayacan
Guaiacum coulteri

Family: Zygophyllaceae
Genus: Guaiacum (GWY-uh-kum) (Info)
Species: coulteri (kol-TER-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Guaiacum planchoni

Violet/Lavender

Purple

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Phoenix, Arizona (3 reports)

Tucson, Arizona

Vista, California

Galveston, Texas

On Sep 6, 2013, AridTropics from Bradenton , FL wrote:

Ever since seeing pictures of this Guaiacum species in flower, It has been on my to acquire/ trial list. I was lucky enough to pick up a nice 1gal specimen while attending Desert Botanical's spring sale back in March.

I also made a special trip to Glendale while in town to examine a couple specimens planted in the Demo gardens to get an idea of how much this species is/was effected by freezing temperatures since documented cold hardiness seems to vary depending on information provided over the internet. Thus far, my own specimen has done well here in San Jose, CA. steadily pushing bursts of growth during warm spells through the summer in full hot sun most of the day. Regardless, it isn't a fast grower.

Because it is such a rarity, I soak it only once a week... read more

On Aug 11, 2012, PlantNutPeg from Casas Adobes, AZ wrote:

I planted a Guayacan in Tempe, Arizona. I lived there 10 years and if flourished the entire time. No, they are not easy to find. However, Shady Way Nursery in Apache Junction is a treasure trove for unusual desert plants. If you live in or near Maricopa County, youneed to know about this nursery. The Guayacan is also available at Tohono Chul Gardens in Tucson.

On Jan 9, 2011, conrehabit from Mazatlan
Mexico wrote:

We planted 5 Guayacan trees in our property 4 years ago. They were only 20-30 cms. long at the time. They are doing very well, with watering twice a week. The picture I uploaded is from an existing tree in our 2 acre site. People tell me that it is 20 years old and it is barely 5' tall but very vigorous. I collected only 7 seeds from it last winter. Most neighbours "harvest" my tree before I know it. The 7 seeds germinated in 15-20 days in small pots in my back patio and they are doing very well. I also got 2 cuttings 2 weeks ago and Isurprinsingly, one is growing small leaves!!
I have used cow manure as fertilizer and the most commercial brand as well. The cow manure gave me good results.
I have seen at least 1 large (18 feet or taller) tree along the Free Highway 15 r... read more

On Aug 13, 2004, sonotaps from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

The Guayacan is native to Mexico and is found as far north as Sonora near Hermosillo (relatively frost free). I have one growing in my yard in Phoenix. They are drought/cold deciduous, and require a little more water here than in their native habitat, where the monsoon is more pronounced. That is not to say that they aren't suitable for xeriscape in the least. A tough plant. I've had no problem with cold in Phoenix at all with this one. The plant blooms profusely with purple flowers during the hottest part of summer in Phoenix, defying Mother Nature's fury. Have to admire that about the Guayacan. The little leaves come directly off the small branches and even the trunk with the most brilliant bright green coloring.

A beautiful shrub to small tree, but relatively hard... read more