PlantFiles: Brazilian Rock Rose
Pavonia braziliensis

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pavonia (pav-ON-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: braziliensis

Pale Pink

By Kim_M
Thumbnail #1 of Pavonia braziliensis by Kim_M

By Kim_M
Thumbnail #2 of Pavonia braziliensis by Kim_M

By poisondartfrog
Thumbnail #3 of Pavonia braziliensis by poisondartfrog

Positive Beach_Barbie On Feb 6, 2008, Beach_Barbie from Kure Beach, NC (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is evergreen in my area. It's a great plant - open airy growth habit. Probably would be denser with pruning. Blooms away with little care.

Positive chnall On Jul 16, 2005, chnall from Dallas, TX wrote:

I planted it in full sun the first year and it bloomed fine. The second year it was covered with buds but they never opened. The nursery suggested that it was getting too much water. I wanted to put something else in that spot so I needed a place to stash it until I could find it a new home. I cut it way back, pulled it up by the roots, and planted it on the east side of the garage in dappled shade in hard clay with no amendments. The hole was just big enough to hold the roots. I didn't really care whether it lived or died. It is now blooming! It deserves a new home. It has proved very adaptable.

I just read that in the early spring this plant produces buds with seeds only and later in the summer it blooms (July here). The blooms are very pale pink (almost white) with maroon centers.

It grows to 3' x 3'. It is deciduous and is an adapted native plant. It is evergreen to 24 degrees F.

Kure Beach, North Carolina